1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Really really nervous to play a show...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Murmaider, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Murmaider

Murmaider

So I came up with this pretty sick riff, went to my guitarist, and we started to put this song together. It's turning out really awesome, but it's fast paced. That's not too much of a problem in itself, it's not too technical, but I have a bass solo. It's 4 measures long. It isn't too difficult in itself, I just have to stay on rhythm. The only thing that makes that sort of difficult is how fast and pseudo-legato-like it is. It was NOT my idea to have it be this long, I wanted it to be one measure long and it would be over with before people even realized there was a bass solo there xD.

But yeah, I'm seriously nervous. This is my FIRST band, the FIRST song I sort of came up with, and now all this attention is going to be set on me in this bass solo, on my FIRST show. I feel like I'll bee too nervous and **** up, then EVERYBODY would know and I'd feel like ****!

Normally if I mess up not many people could probably tell since I'm the low end, you know? But if I mess up here, everybody is paying attention and everyone will know... Help!!
  2. Winfred

Winfred

Don't sweat it. Just play and have fun. Nobody is gonna die if you flub a few notes. :)
  3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Just practice practice practice. Get it to where you dont have to consciously think about it. And, even if you do mess up, its not the end of the world. My first gig was a disaster but it didnt affect me or my band in any way. Just on to the next gig.
  4. Jools4001

Jools4001

This!
  5. Mortom27

Mortom27

Don't worry about it, if u messed up, you messed up
    and that's it., it will actually motivated u to do it better on the next gig.
  6. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Eh, it'll probably take the crowd two measures to figure out why the guitarist isn't playing.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

This might sound like crazy advice, but I've been playing out for over 20 years, so I've got a little bit of experience here. If you mess up, just keep a confident look on your face and most of the audience will literally have no idea that anything was wrong. Seriously. No matter how bad you flub it up. (Well, within reason :D).
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

+1

If you're worried about making mistakes, learn how to make them sound good. Yes, I'm totally serious and it's a great skill to have.
  9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Several years ago, I used to be the lead guitar player for a church. Often, I would find out on Thursday that I had to play a Lincoln Brewster guitar solo for that Sunday (look him up, if you've never heard him). In the early ninety's that wouldn't have been too difficult for me....but I had not played electric guitar for years, when I landed that church gig, so I was pretty rusty with the shredding technique.

Here are some tricks that I learned that made things a lot easier...
    1) Work out the difficult parts slowly and perfectly with a metronome. I used to break the solos down into little phrases, then put them together.
    2) Once you can play the parts cleanly at tempo several times in a row, slowly speed up the metronome so that you are practicing faster than you'll need to play it. Then, play a few times at the faster tempo, alternating with a few times at a slightly slower than normal tempo.
    3) Work on the transitions leading into and out of the difficult parts--that's often where the mistakes happen.
    4) Don't practice for a long time at once, but try to practice as often as possible throughout the day. I tried to practice for about 15 minutes at a time, but tried to do it every 2-3 hours, on my days off. On days that I worked, I got up 15 minutes early before work to practice, and just did what I could in the evening.
  10. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Spend less time on the internet and more time practicing the solo.
  11. christianharger

christianharger Supporting Member

Most of the time when you mess up, you and your bandmates are the only ones who really notice. If you do mess up, try your hardest to let it not show in your facial expressions or the rest of your playing.

Just practice practice practice, man! Practice it at the normal tempo, practice it twice as fast, practice it twice as slow, hum it while you're driving around or eating dinner. Get the licks inside of you as much as possible, and when it comes time to play it, it'll just come out of you. At least that's what I've found to be true in my experience.
  12. BigRoo

BigRoo

Or you could do what they suggested in the movie Animal House "start drinking heavily" :) Then you won't remember what you did and won't care.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The song is an original. The audience isn't going to know if you make a mistake.
  14. kedo

kedo

Nail it.
  15. Snarf

Snarf Supporting Member

OR WILL THEY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!