1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reasons for switching it up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Aloha TB'ers
    I was just wondering what are your reasons for switching basses. For example, I play 4,5, and 6 string basses. Aside from the variety of tones that each one has, I also like different ones for different approaches/situations/mindsets. (transcending genre) For example,
    I like to play my P in my rock project, but lately I have gravitated towards it in my funk project, where I usually play a 6. We are playing an outdoor gig this weekend, and "fun" is the watchword for this outing. (gigs are always fun of course). The four feels like the "the bass is in my hands and I aint gotta think" tool. I play my five for "work for hire gigs" and jazzy smooth gigs. It is warm and looks/feels soulful. (modulus F.U.). I like to play the Ric for power trios.
    Anyone else have quirky traits. I'm mostly talking to the "mad scientist gearhead types", not necessarily the "utilitarian, one bass to rule them all" types, even though those are my brothers too because sometimes I will go through a period where will grab one for a while.

2. affprod

affprod Supporting Member

Interesting question. I play four strings, exclusively, but I change basses depending on what I want to accomplish. Is there a difference between a Precision and a Jazz? Of course. But even more would be my Ps have flats and my Js have rounds. How about a fretless? Absolutley needed for some works. Where I am playing will effect the quality/value of the basses I take, but in a nice place, it is all about the music we will play.

Honestly, I have 23 basses, all four string except for one 8 (octave) and they all sound different and play different, but I only have six go to basses, all Fenders but one. Precision, Jazz, Jazz fretless, Mustang (vintage), Performer, Kingman and the Washburn 8. (Byrds anyone?) All have their uses, some limited.

I will be interested to see where your thread leads.

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I also have 4, 5, 6 & 7-string basses, fretted/fretless. I guess I just grab whatever I'm "feeling" at the moment. No complicated answer to this topic.