Reasons you weren't picked for a Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mancefine, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    After a very humble fellow just posted that he wasn't selected for a band, it made me recall not getting picked for a band because I am a bigger guy and didn't dress like a hipster (scarfs, vests, fedora's in the summer, etc.). I saw the band a few months later and I blew their selection out of the water.

I also didn't get picked one time because I played a Spector and I would "be in the band if I got a P-bass or a Ric". I politely told them to lick my P-Nis.

What are your funny rejection stories?
  2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

It was just about a year ago when I did my first audition for a start up cover band where I did not know any of the members. I have been in bands all my life but was always invited in the band cause I new one or more of the players so no audition was required. The BL gave me 6 songs to do with about a week notice. I practiced at home and got the songs down. Went to the rehearsal and nailed the songs. Even played a few more songs not on the list. They said at the end that I was welcome to join. So I emailed the BL the following day with some questions. In fact, some of the questions I picked up here on TB.
    How often do you rehearse?
    What is the goal as far as gigging out? How many times a month?
    Are you planning on adding a second guitar or keys?
    Etc, Etc

I got an email the next day saying I asked to many questions so he was going to keep looking. Since I was already in a band it did not sting too much. I was just looking to add another band so I could play more.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Top Ten Reasons I Don't Get Picked For Bands

10. I'm a much better player than them, and they're jealous
    9. I do a lot better with women than them, and they're jealous
    8. I have a lot better sense of style than them, and they're jealous
    7. I have a much better day job than them, and they're jealous
    6. I'm much better looking than them, and they're jealous
    5. I have a lot more knowledge about rock and roll, and they're jealous
    4. I have a lot more charm and charisma than them, and they're jealous
    3. I'm quite a good bit more intelligent than them, and they're jealous
    2. I'm not afflicted by alcoholism and drug addiction, and they'd be jealous, if they understood what the hell was going on

and the Number One Reason I Don't Get Picked For Bands

1. They are jealous of my overwhelming HUMILITY
    ssabass and sleeplessknight like this.
  4. rtslinger

rtslinger

Always been one of the BL in any project I have been involved in early on and later the skill level is one that I am good at what I do. 47 years and counting
  5. hanales

hanales

I was retroactively unpicked about a month into one cover band about 11 years ago. I never really found out why (I was second guitar and vocals). Either the new female singer (harder to find) didn't like me, or we just didn't gel. Was very weird. I just remember going to a couple of practices and then getting the call. Maybe I was worse than I remembered? It's life.
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I only had one band I auditioned for and was not asked to join. I thought I was a perfect fit, and honestly....I'd subbed for them on a few occasions with no complaints from anyone.

The job went to the rhythm player's friend because (as I was told by the guitarist, who wanted me)....well, he was the rhythm player's friend and had been told he had the gig prior to ever auditioning.

My audition was just a farce to satisfy the others who thought they should look around at who was available.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I got turned down once. According to the guitarist, they thought I was the better musician, but this other guy had recording equipment, and they wanted to make a demo. So they made their demo and then sacked the guy and called me back a few months later. "Dude, are you still interested?"

Ummm.... how do I put this? Oh yeah: NO.
  8. Michael Milner

Michael Milner

I think the last time was around 33 years ago...lead singer didn't like me :)

Oh well...
  9. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

I got turned down once. Was told it was because I play too funky and made the guitars sound bad. :confused:

I guess I clashed with the lead guitard's shredding style, with a bazillion effect pedals always on. :rollno:
  10. aquamentus

aquamentus Supporting Member

Everyone here is utterly desperate for bass players. So, I always get the gig by default.
  11. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

[​IMG]
  12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have been shot down twice, on the phone. Didn't even get to audition.
    Everything was going fine until they learned my age.
  13. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

well it wasn't an audition, but I formed a blues/boogie kinda band a few years back, as a fun side project to make a few extra $$$ in those clubs and venues that hire that stuff.
    started as a 4 piece, I played bass and provided a drummer who is my pal.
    we learned some songs, wrote some songs, and had a good time at a few well paying gigs. I sang about 1/2 the material.
    after a few gigs, while at rehearsal, drummer and I are joking around, drinking beers, but still playing the songs and getting them down.
    older guitar player says, "Look, I can't tell if you guys are really serious about this band or not."
    I told him that no, we are not serious, this is a side band for us, as we are both involved with other groups. We are having fun and making a few $$$.
    And whoa, he didn't like that, cancelled the remaining gig, and left me an angry voicemail about how he didn't want to waste his time anymore.

The music was sounding really good, but apparently my attitude was not serious enough, even though I showed up to all practices/gigs sober, on time, with a P.A., & a drummer. I even booked the first couple gigs!
    Oh well, no big deal.
    So I went and started a surf band and we have been rocking ever since. playing the same venues and making the same bread.
  14. obimark

obimark

Only got turned down once up to this point and still not sure why as these guys were a total basement band, playing the typical songs and not as good as they thought they were.

But more importantly I have been offered the slot on every other try-out and I should have turned THEM Down at least 50% of the time....
  15. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Which is... 12 or 96?
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I was 54 at the time
  17. Andrew W.

Andrew W. Supporting Member

There was one band I was relieved I didn't get picked for. Found them on CL, and of course, they wouldn't tell me the name of the band or send me any samples because they wanted to hype up their garbage demo in person. They were the biggest creeps I've ever met in my life. The singer went on endlessly about how they were going to travel to London to "make it," and more or less said that I would need to fund the trip immediately if I wanted to join the band. The drummer started shaking uncontrollably during the meeting, which made me think what they were really after was money for smack. I laughed at them when they asked me for 3k, and the singer said with a long face, "I don't think this is going to work..."
  18. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

My age has shot me down a few times. I find most of the bands in my town are made up of younger musicians, and they don't get too excited about having an old bald guy in the band. I almost always get compliments on my playing, though.

I didn't get a gig one time because their guitarist had heard me play guitar in another band once, and he felt threatened, was concerned I'd want to take over as the guitarist, etc. Didn't seem to matter that I was auditioning to play bass.
  19. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

Unfortunately that has been my experience as well.

Either there are zero bass players around, my talent is greater than I realise or I’m only hooking up with bottom feeders.

I’d love to get turned down, hopefully it would expose holes in my playing so I could know that to be better I need to “ ………………”
  20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

they wanted to keep it small 3-piece, with keys covering the bass parts.