1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Reccomended Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RxFunk, Dec 15, 2012.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

I know this topic has probably been covered a ton, but I'm just looking for some good bass books. I bought the first HL Bass Method book, and I'll probably get the rest in the series too, but what should I get that will really help me with these genres: jazz, blues, funk, soul, RnB? Should I get some stuff on walking as well? Anything with both notation and tab would be helpful too, as my music notation skills aren't so good.

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Walking is essential because you'll learn how move from chord to chord. Walking is used in nearly every form of modern music.

Building Walking Bass Lines by Hal Leonard is a great one.

3. RxFunk

RxFunk

Yeah, I thought that would be a good one to get. How difficult is the book itself, I'm only part way through bass method 1 if that helps give an indication of skill level.

4. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

Would you recommend that I get into that as soon as I can, or only after I have a good basic understanding of general theory?

7. wrench45us

wrench45us

Ed Friedland's book as well as Ed Fuqua's covers the theory as it mves through the exercises

Jay Hungerford's book has a lot of useful examples that may fit together better once one has some theory understanding. (if one's mind finds that useful)

All of this made more sense to me when I worked through Todd Johnson's DVD/book series on walking, since I needed a lot of small step repetition to establish a base and the other books seemed to me to be more appropriate for a more intermediate player.

8. RxFunk

RxFunk

What's the Todd Johnson book series called?

9. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

10. RxFunk

RxFunk

11. _chrispy

_chrispy

12. RxFunk

RxFunk

13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

The entire Teach Me Bass Guitar DVD/Book program by Roy Vogt. It's a huge bargain for what you get and it will keep you busy for a long time. I recommend you either order the color book with it or be prepared to print a lot of pages in color off the DVD. The book, in color, is essential to get the most out if it.

14. RxFunk

RxFunk

Where can I buy it from? Amazon?

15. funkybass

funkybass

Bassbooks.com has it.

16. funkybass

funkybass

17. the_stone

the_stone

Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a master class in R&B bass playing, and will also get your reading chops together in a hurry. The book is half biography of Jamerson, half transcribed basslines to a bunch of the tunes he recorded. Plus, there's a play-along CD with a bunch of well-known bassists playing the basslines, and you can pan the stereo channels to cut out the basslines so you can play along.

The book is worth getting just to see 80's photos of some of the bassists.

18. the_stone

the_stone

And if you want a good introduction to jazz bass, check out John Goldsby's "The Jazz Bass Book: Technique and Tradition." He's got bios on many of the key bassists in the jazz tradition, along with transcriptions of some of their basslines. The last 1/3 of the book is chapters on practicing, concepts, technical exercises, etc...

19. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

I think his web site sells it directly.

20. RxFunk

RxFunk

There's a site just for books on bass?!?!!

21. RxFunk

RxFunk

Oooh, I do!