Recently purchased doghouse

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kraeton, Mar 3, 2014.

1. kraeton

kraeton

I recently purchased this bass for 300. I'm fairly certain it's a hybrid. Solid top and back, ply sides. No markings or anything. Any chance someone is familiar with?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kraeton

kraeton

3. kraeton

kraeton

4. kraeton

kraeton

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass kraeton.

Looks like a generic CCB (Cheap/Crappy Chinese Bass) to me.

Not necessarily a bad thing, I for one love them, but CCB's do often require more setup and maintenance knowledge than an average DB player posesses.

Make sure that the sound post is in place before You put the bridge back on and tune to pitch.

Regards
    Sam
  7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

For $300 it would be hard to go wrong even with a CCCB. But the pics reveal something so generic it's hard to ID. Is there no label inside an f-hole? I'm not sure "hybrid" and
    CCCB are mutually compatible. You may have a better bass.

I second T-Bird: set-up is critical. First get that soundpost in position, then it's more a question of how well the fingerboard is dressed and whether the bridge can be lowered or needs to be raised.

At least your bass appears structurally sound.
  8. kraeton

kraeton

It's certainly a hybrid, I know my wood, heh.

Strangely, no, there aren't any markings or tags inside. It's weird, it's a really nice build
  9. kraeton

kraeton

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

A hybrid? Show us the end-grain wrapping around the top. Let's see a close-up of the edge of an f-hole.
  11. kraeton

kraeton

I only have my cell phone. But I'll do my best and post pics shortly.
  12. kraeton

kraeton

I can't really get close enough for a picture. Regardless, still not a bad bass for the price I payed. /shrug
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Any updates?

Well...

You have to get the bridge, string it up, do a setup, probably level the fingerboard, then play it for a year or a two trouble-free for it to be worth that price.

Could still be a money sink-hole if You're not prepared to roll up your sleeves and learn how to do it yourself.

Some of these instruments are really nice, some OTOH are not.

Regards
    Sam
  14. kraeton

kraeton

I totally agree with you about that. I have the bridge. I'm just trying to find the time to set it. Busy, busy!

I got this bass to further my knowledge and experience about music. I can't wait. Don't get me wrong. I'm in no way a novice when it comes to music and instrument setup. I appreciate your advice about it becoming a money pit. I'll have to keep that in mind ;) I'll be setting it up in the next week or so and let y'all know how she sings.

Be good
  15. kraeton

kraeton

16. kraeton

kraeton

Has a nice deep tone. But the "E" isn't very well pronounced. Any suggestions?
  17. kraeton

kraeton

Sound test?

http://soundcloud.com/kraeton/bass-test

♧
  18. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Could be the camera angle, but it looks like the bridge could be a hair too back.
    The location is not set in stone though AFAIK, especially if one location gives more balanced tone.

Acoustically weak E or sometimes even A is IMLE pretty common with novice set up DB's (I'm most certainly not an exception ;)), and even more so with CCB's.
    On some the E won't be acoustically usable without drastic modifications.

These BSO's (Bass Shaped Objects) have not been built to perfection, but for budget ;).

OTOH, just like in BG world, a twisted string is the first one to look at when one string is weaker than the others though, so some room for improvement may lie in there.

Regards
    Sam
  19. kraeton

kraeton

Hey thanks for the input, I appreciate it. By twisted string, do you mean twisted the entire length or twisted somehow in the pegbox?
  20. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

You're welcome.

The string twists on its entire lenght.
    On wound strings it obviously loosens or tightens the wrappings and that can have a drastic impact on the sound.

It's usually caused on the BG side by sloppily using the "string end in the hole method" while not paying attention to the strings ability to turn freely on the bridge end, something that is obviously impossible with the way DB strings are wound on the tuner shafts.
    I've came across this when re-using old DB strings, straightening and re-aligning the kink on the tailpiece end made a world of difference.

Regards
    Sam
  21. kraeton

kraeton

It's still going strong with my novice set up. And it seems the E has found her voice by some unknown reason lol. Love it! Best 300 bucks I've ever spent