1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rechargeable 9v? Anyone use them are they good enough for preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gjbl, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Gjbl

Gjbl

Long title,

I have been with passive only basses for 4 years now. I remember the great sound a fresh 9v would bring but it would only last a matter of days..:(.

I take the care of my instruments very seriously right now because I'm working on several recordings. I heard somewhere that a recharged battery is not as good as a brand new 9v for the preamp of an active bass
    Thoughts ?...

FYI it's for a stingray5
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Batteries last a very long time in basses, typically 6 months to a year.
    Rechargeable batteries can only keep their charge for a few weeks so that's how often you will have to change them.
    They're not good for this type of use.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed - also, a typical 9v alkaline will start out at around 9.5vdc, whereas most rechargeables max out at 8.4vdc...

- georgestrings
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I have a difficult time believing this - did you leave it plugged in overnight???

- georgestrings
  5. line6man

line6man

Yeah, I'm not buying it, either. Active components draw so little current from the battery that it's like having a glass of water from a water tower. You're not going to run dry any time soon.
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

No they aren't. Alkaline batteries are the lowest you should go. Even standard batteries will not be as efficient in a preamp. even if you leave a fresh alkaline battery plugged in it will last a while.
  7. Gjbl

Gjbl

They were Walgreens cheapo batteries

Hell 6 months a recharge I can live with that... Anyone recommend a brand or supplier ... Maybe a few of us could pull together on a wholesale deal..
  8. Gjbl

Gjbl

Thank you so much for all the input
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

And one final thing. If you want top of the line battery performance in an active bass, I'd highly recommend the High performance lithium NON-RECHARGEABLE 9 volt batteries. They cost about $8-$9 each but have shelf life for YEARS and will last about 9 times longer than standard alcaline batteries in use.

The initial cost if a bit stiff and that induces some resistance, but so long as you don't leave them on the added life makes the total cost come out about the same. However, I also use them in my metronome and my MP3 player. They work great, but if you forget and leave them on for a couple days the batteries still end up dead. So being dizzy can cost you some money.

As for rechargeables, the guys are right. Bad idea.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

not recharge, replace.

no need to pool our money, any common alkaline 9V will do.

(be sure they are alkaline, the ones that just say "heavy duty" have a fraction of the staying power and are basically worthless.)
  11. Gjbl

Gjbl

I must have terrible unplug sanitation as well I'm glad to hear this input... Just got an idea though ... Would it be possible to rewire an active bass so that the power comes from your instrument cable with some kind of phantom power without effecting the voicing or tone of the instrument at all?

These forums are great I wish I would have utilized this resource years ago thanks for all the informative responses.
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yes, there are a couple of different system out there for that:

http://dcvoltage.net/p3/kits

http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/parts/power-supplies/es-9.html

i don't think they're needed though, since a simple alkaline 9V will last a year, and will start to sound a little weak way before it stops working, giving you plenty of notice that you need to change it.
  13. Gjbl

Gjbl

Thanks Heisenberg I think I'm gonna get the meg pedal and keep it in my case just in case...
  14. Gjbl

Gjbl

Can you tell if that meg has a power cable on its side looks like it.
  15. Rob22315

Rob22315

Yes, its easy to do and works very well. I haven't used a 9v battery in any of my three active basses in over three years. The mods to the bass are simple and easily reversible. I built a cheap breakout box that let's me apply power from a wallwart through a stereo instrument cable into the onboard preamp. Danelectro makes a very quiet 9v wallwart for cheap that has served me well. I also found a decent 18V wall wart that will work on 2 of the 3 basses I currently own.

I am happy to post details and photos here if you're interested and there are a number of threads here on TB about it as well. Here's one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/tired-buying-9-volt-batteries-719302/