recomend a bass compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mytt88, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Mytt88

Mytt88

Hey guys, I currently own the mxr m87 bass compressor and I love everything about it, apart from one thing. The hiss noise. It drives me insane.

I'm using it to get a Justin Chancellor style tone to 'fatten up' my sound and 'tighten it up' as well as getting presence and clarity.

Can anyone recommend an alternative. I'm probably leaning towards a bass specific rack unit although I would consider another pedal as long as there is no hiss.

Budget is ideally under £200 although I would stretch if there is a stand out alternative that is worth it.

Cheers in advance
  2. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

I am actually taking the leap of faith with the following unit -
    Zoom MS-60B.

Check out reviews, looks like its a MultiFX unit, but a good quality one and has bunch of comps avail on it.
  3. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

Check out the Markbass Compressore. I've used it for a couple years now and really like it.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My favorite is the Keeley 4 knob. I actually don't own as i don't use compressors live but they are becoming pretty common in all the studios in my area
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crabby

Crabby

Empress Compressor or the Diamond. Both pedals, both dead silent, both made in Canada and both about as good as it gets in a pedal. :)
  7. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Might have to stretch your budget just slightly but these are my 2 favorite rack units for bass...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another inexpensive alternative that for many was the standard rack unit for many years, the mighty Symetrix 501,
    [​IMG]

There's also the ubiquitous DBX 160x (or "a")...
    [​IMG]
  8. Mytt88

Mytt88

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I will try the Zoom MS-60B out first since it is the cheapest option and I may be able to sell my sansamp bddi, mxr m87, and my eq pedal and actually make a profit. Of course I am hoping the sound quality of this thing is comparable. It looks amazing though.

Empress Compressor looked cool as a pedal although I'm not sure it's bass specific compared to the markbass compressore? and the Symetrix 501 was the rack option that caught my eye, will try those if it doesn't work out.
  9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Sure there's nothing wrong with the MXR? I have it and it's dead silent.
  10. Mytt88

Mytt88

@BassMonstrum

Yes I am sure. Maybe it's because I have an active bass??? but it is well documented that some of those pedals have issues. It really is a great pedal though aside from the hiss. I am quite gutted about it
  11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well I'm Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

No noise from my M87, and I play active bases.
  12. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I play active and passive through my M87 and I have zero noise. Maybe a noise suppressor after it would help?
  13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I am using one of these and I have no hiss coming out of it... It is actually very clean, maybe you should return it if it is a recent purchase you made...:eyebrow:
  14. Mytt88

Mytt88

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

That is to bad, hope you find a replacement that will do it for you. I cannot help you as I am new to the compressor world and like I said, I have no issue using it with either my passive P bass or the active SB5000..
  16. Mytt88

Mytt88

Could one of you guys please do me a favour if you have the means?

Could you plug your bass direct to the mxr then from your amps/effect unit through headphones. Turn the output past 12 o'clock and let me know if you hear any hiss. It's as soon as I go past 12 o'clock.

unfortunately all the deep desirable tones I want happen at around 2 o'clock +
  17. Mytt88

Mytt88

@FrenchBassQC no worries I appreciate all input thanks for the help
  18. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

19. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

It has been mentioned a few times that some of the M-87s have a hiss issue, which is not normal for the design.

Contact MXR and let them know what's happening. They will fix it for you, most likely by replacing the one you have with another.

It shouldn't be making hissing noises....
  20. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

I'd say for a rack unit the DBX160x/a is great for bass (and everything else). There is a reason it's been an industry standard forever. I used one in my bass rack set-up for a long time. I don't use that rack system anymore but I actually just purchased a Maxon CP9-Pro+ because it is based on the DBX circuit and so far I really love it. It adds great punch to your sound (if that's what you're looking for) but it also does a great job of just evening out dynamics while remaining very transparent.
  21. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

+1 to getting the MXR fixed. Sounds like a defect. Failing that, if you still wish to keep with a pedal, I'll second the suggestion for the Empress. It's IMO the best compressor available for anything in a pedal format. I use it for bass and it's a premium studio grade product. Dead silent.

After trying out many of the big names you hear around on TB I kept the Empress as my first choice and my second board has an Agular TLC. The Agular is another fine pedal with a great sounding compression with good controls designed for the bass player.