Recomendations for head to drive 200S cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by frankieC, Nov 15, 2013.

1. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I thinking about going back to using my old Sunn 200S, cab. It's a 2x15 cab, at 8 ohms (speakers are Altec Lansing D140F's), but I'm not sure of it's wattage capacity.

I play mostly classic rock, southern rock, and I use both a Rick 4001, and a Fender P/J, both are passive.

I'm looking for something that will both project, and a 3 or 4 band EQ would be helpful. I'd like to stay under $1000.00

Any recommendations for a head for use in clubs (about 200-250 persons capacity) would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Find a used Ampeg V4B.
  3. frankieC

Thanks. I'll I'll take a look around.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would have said the same thing, except if it were me, I'd suck up the extra three hundy and get a new one. Same sound but with separate gain/master, smaller chassis, and 20 fewer pounds.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankieC

I'm not familiar with the V4B. I've owned a number of Ampegs over the years. First was a B-12, the a B-15, then in the late 60's a SVT when they were first introduced.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    100w, very much in line with the SVT and B-15 tones.
  8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    That will be James B Lansing as in JBL Altec didn't do a speaker called a D140f.
    You need either a V4b or a Hiwatt, I remember back in the old days when squire Entwistle of Stowe RIP would plug the old Hiwatt DR201 into JBL loaded Sunn cabs and great sonic joy was had by all.:hyper::bassist:
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Find some E140 or K's. I don't know if you could open up an SVT on it but shouldn't be far off.
  10. frankieC

So they are JBL's?
    Did Altec do 421's (15" speakers)? O have one is a 122 Leslie was just wondering if that is an original speaker for that cab.

I will look into that, too. Thank you!
  11. chadds

chadds

Yes Altec did 421As. Its not OEM in a Leslie but a great replacement.
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    That was the original speaker for the mighty V4B folded horn cab
    back from a more glorious time, when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous.
    I must confess to having hoarded a pair of Altec 418 series two, the ones with the stepped Alnico Magnet, in there original Ampeg SVT 115 enclosures.
    I love there agility, not much real low end but a midrange to die for:)
    :bassist:

[​IMG]

Here is my little shrine to Altec, JBL and Electrovoice 12" drivers, oh and there is a pair of ATC chassis on the floor that are now in Sealed Enclosures without filling or batting, with metal domed in one cab, and one paper voice coil capped.
    Well in the studio you can get as much dead low as you like, out of the little labs phase tool reamping thingy! I have running off the motherload power soaks line out. for bass:), but obviously guitards won't leave the 12" drivers alone either. Funny it seems the downtune metal guys these days love the old tin cap top end stuff too.
    When they get bored with the usual 1960 cabs I the next door isolation room.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

A vintage Sunn Model T is the ticket you need to punch. Far superior tone to any Ampeg.
  14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    One of those on good order would be a great find indeed.
    Very rare over here, only ever seen one in England
  15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Great amps, not common or cheap by any means.
  16. lexington125

lexington125

its kinda obvious, but how about a Sunn 200 head? The best features of any amp design: volume, bass and treble: no more than 3 controls; much less chance of screwing up the inherently good sound of the amp / cab combo.

I'm looking at a custom amp and the design is almost a copy of the old 200 circuit.
  17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The 200S is about 60 watts right? Might be a little light for the OP's requirements unless there is good PA support.
  18. frankieC

I have the the Sunn 200S head. it's just not handling the situation. I love using it, and i will continue to use it as much as I can, but when the room size gets beyond a capacity of about 150 people of so, it doesn't seem to get the job done. That's why I'm looking for a little more grunt, from something that's compatible with the 200S cab.

Precisely.
  19. chadds

chadds

2000s head? Probably hard to find.
    Here on TB some folks don't like head hanging off cab even 1/16". LOL

The V4B head recommendation is a good one.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Fender's new line of all tube Bassman amps are excellent! Absolutely stellar sound with tremendous tonal flexability.
  21. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

As someone else mentioned, beyond just getting a more powerful head, higher rated speakers might not be a bad idea either. The D-140s were only rated at about 60 watts I believe, and while they are efficient speakers and somewhat conservatively rated, they're old and increasingly hard to find (at least a proper original set of them). So while the two of them in the enclosure will have a combined handling of around 120w, I wouldn't want to be pushing them with a 100w amp very hard. K140s would be a good choice, but again, good luck finding them (trust me, they're becoming similar to hens teeth). The E140s have a bigger magnet and can be rather difficult to fit into the 200s cab unless you front load them.

As far as amps go, I can't really add too much on to what others have recommended. The new Ampeg V4 or Fender Bassman 100T sound like they'd fit the bill pretty well on the lower wattage end of the spectrum. Beyond that, maybe a used SVT or if you can track down a used Bassman 300. I'm a Sunn fanatic, but I won't recommend the 2000s, mostly because I find the over hang, t-stack formation to be utterly maddening. :D They're also, like the K140s, rather rare to get a hold of (though there's a slightly modded one for sale in classifieds right now I believe). My 2000s and 1200s through pairs of K140s can definitely carry a big space.