Recommend a compressor that DOES color the sound!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sbpark, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

I have a boutique MXR Dyna Comp clone that's a hand-wired replica of the original, and love it on guitar, but it unfortunately seems to suck out some of the bottom end when I use it on my bass.

I like what the Dyna Comp does as far as adding a sort of presence and shimmer, and was wondering if there is a compressor that's similar for a bass?
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

The compressor is doing its job.

Your ratio is too high and/or the threshold is too low.

I used to use a Symetrix unit back in the day.

It had one setting for compression and one for limiting.

I knew another guy that ran a bi-amped rig and only compressed the low end.
  3. sbpark

sbpark

I'm not sure how you know my settings are 'wrong' based on my post. Plain and simple, regardless of settings, the Dyna Comp cuts out lows. For all you know I could be using it as an effect and not a true compressor. There is no wrong or right way to turn knobs on a pedal if it produces the sound/effect you are going for.
  4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

There's a guy around here who has a modded dyna comp. I'll see if I can find any info
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    PhilosophersTone with the grit down, blend towards the dry side is a pretty nice effect. While the Compulator is very clear, there is a really nice shimmer at higher settings. Compulator is gone from my bass rig, the PT sit's in my guitar rig...
  6. fish slapper

fish slapper

EBS mulit-comp in "tubism" mode. :hyper:
  7. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

DBX 566 :hyper:
  8. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I took a chance on the very cheap Behringer DC9, which is a clone of the MXR.

It actually does the job very nicely - if you are guitar player.
    For bass, it Does wipe much low end.
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1 on the pigtronix. the EMMA Transmorgrifier and Keeley 4 knob comp retain also the low end well and both sound great. IMO, the Rothwell love squeeze and Merlin Engineer's thumb are also good ones.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

DOD Milkbox. Not sure if what it does can be labeled "coloring", but it does something ! I really love it, but prefer something better at limiting, so I ended up putting it in the local classifieds.
  11. sbpark

sbpark

Funny thing...I LITERALLY just ordered one then read your reply.
  12. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Cali 76
    Retrospec Squeezebox
    FEA Labs (any of them)
    3Leaf PWNZOR
    Urei 1176
    Diamond Bass Comp
    LA2A
    Aphex 661

use the source luke: http://www.ovnilab.com/
  13. sbpark

sbpark

I went with a used Milkbox for $50. Figured it was worth a shot and it's cheap compared to most.
  14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The Philosopher's Tone is moy cool. And yes it colors your tone. I sold mine to get the P King. Which is the same pedal with a ASD.

It's funny you don't see them pop up on TB. The one that seems to sell within minutes is the FEA. List . Bang, get out the stop watch.

I'm not sure if they're that good or just look real cool.

If you want to be different ART made some tube compressors and some of the earlier ones were, I believe, made in the US.
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

A buddy had one and it was cool. The funny thing about DOD is that A they are built to last. And some of their pedals just hit a spot no one else hits. The Milk box is one of those.

16. sbpark

sbpark

From what I have read I think it may do what I am looking for. The Whirlwind Red Box would be absolutely perfect if it didn't seem to cut off some of the low mids. Since it's a Dyna Comp clone (apparently made by one of the guys who created the first Dyna Comp) it has the same thing going on. It's aggressive and at even 'lower' settings and is very noticeable and once you start turning up the sensitivity it starts becoming unusable (an attack knob would easily remedy this in my opinion), but with just a smidge dialed in with the sentivity knob and the output anywhere between 9 o'clock and dimed, it really creates magic with a lot of pedals, especially fuzz pedals and an octave pedal. With that compressor through a Lovepedal Amp50 into a Boss Tremolo into a Boss Octave pedal and finally through a Carbon Copy delay, you can get some incredible sounds! Without the compressor it's just ok, but kick in that comp and it just takes off and adds something special.

DOD stuff s built to last. I still have a DOD chorus pedal I bought probably 20 years ago. Was the first pedal I ever bought and it's still working.
  17. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

T-Rex Squeezer. Versatile compression and tube tone coloring goodness
  18. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Hope you like its tone as much as I did. For someone needing light compression, it's probably one of the best for the price. Bongo rates it pretty well too.

http://www.ovnilab.com/
  19. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

DBX and BBE make great rack compressors/limiter/enhancer.
  20. rainbownorth

rainbownorth

I've got a mark bass compressore. True tube driven compression, and does colour tone slightly as well. It's got a great gain stage and at extreme compression ratio has this funny little warble that probably isn't meant to be there but sounds pretty cool.

Whatever you're looking for, you will your answers at ovnilab. Bongomania really knows his stuff.