Recommend a head under $500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Jan 26, 2014.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

This is what I'm looking for:

New or used, but in excellent condition
    Solid state
    Enough power for small to mediumish gigs and church
    Capable of operating at 4 ohms with one cabinet
    Built in tuner
    Built in compressor, not just an on or off limiter
    Very simple eq layout with a few easy to use/change bells and whistles (contour, bright switch, etc.)
    Headphone out
    Audio/aux in for iPhone/Mp3/etc
    Ground/lift
    DI section with post/Pre eq

I think that about covers it. Compressor and tuner are only thing ill compromise on, everything else is must have.

Peavey's new minimax and TC's bh250 with toneprint look interesting, but I would love other recommendations.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

No immediate suggestions, just that you mentioned "enough power for small to mediumish gigs" and that means having adequate speakers more than just "power". A single 4 ohm cab is plenty, so long as it's a bigger cab, 215, 410, 212, etc, but not 115, 210, etc. I do fine with 300 watts and a 212.
    Most of your other requirements should be fairly easy to find, especially if you buy used gear. Check the TB classifieds.
  3. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Yep the cab will come next I sold my rig to fund a move 2 months ago and have already got a gig with a group. I use what they have for now, so I want the head first to use at home for practicing. Then I'll add the cab and be done with it.

I was planning on 2x12, but I think the right 1x15 might work. I don't play heavy music. R&B and other groove based styles. I'm trying out country for the first time now too.
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Grab a Genz Benz 6.2 head from Amazon while they last. 399.00 bucks for GB quality and 600 watts. Tough to beat.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

The right 1X15 will definitely work. My Avatar B115 has an Eminence 3015LF in it. Super light, Super tight and very punchy. I used my Carvin Bx500 with it for a large club(250 people) and it had tons of spare headroom. It's all overkill once you can drown out the drummer.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

8. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

And if a problem arises will they service the amp now hat they are under fender?
  9. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

I had a B800, didn't care for it much. How does the BX series differ? Their little micro head is most tempting, but doesn't meet some of my requirements.

They also unfortunately have the worst warranty in the industry. Makes me think twice.
  10. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Unfortunately you are really going to be limited with your list of "must have" features, especially the built in tuner. I would have to do some looking around on the web but off the top of my head I can't think of any amps that offer all those features.
  11. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

The BH250 and Minimax have it, but I suppose it is another feature I could compromise on. I'll edit OP.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I seem to remember (from the GB thread) that all warranty work will be covered by the buying company after the sale. I think it may be a law, but not sure. Anyway, it was addressed by the Genz Benz guy himself. I would grab one.
  13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

The brand new Fender Rumble 500 head has most of what you are looking for except for the tuner and compressor. I'm not sure if the line out has both pre/post EQ though.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum500H/

They just announced these at NAMM so they aren't even in stores yet.
  14. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

15. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

I have the GBE600 and WOW, lots of power, features, and flexibility. 5 band eq, pre/post DI, 8/4/2 ohm capable with two speed fan that is almost silent. It is a tube/solid state hybrid so you have the option of some warmth or just stick with the clarity of solid state. Does not have the tuner, compressor, or headphone jack. I have other more powerful all-tube heads, but this is one of my favorite for overall price and performance. You can find them at GC and on eBay for under $500 used.
  16. DionClassic

DionClassic

Not sure if you get Traynor or Yorkville in the U.S. but definitely a great bang for the buck if you look at the Traynor 300T or something in that ball park you get plenty of features and power at minimal cost.
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

Skip the "built-in" stuff, too. :ninja:
  18. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

The TC electronics RH450 has everything you listed. Find you some loud effecient cabinets - and you're done.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The closest thing I can find to that is the Eden WTX500. It lacks the built-in tuner, but you won't find many amps that have that. Maybe the TCE RH450 or something. But the Eden sounds better.
  20. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

I guess I'd have to look for those two used

thanks
  21. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Don't need tubes and prefer headphone jack, but thank you.