1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommend a hollowbody or semi-hollow...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Dec 15, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

I need another bass like I need a hole in the head, but I've been intrigued by hollow and semi-hollow basses lately. Would have to be well under $1000 and it will probably be several months before I can justify it.

Definitely needs to be 34" scale and prefer a wider-than-Jazz nut width. The Lakland Hollowbody would probably be my first choice, though it's more than I want to pay. I like that it has a satin neck and not a painted gloss neck.

I'm also looking at Gretsch, Gibson Midtown, DiPinto Belvedere, etc. I really dig the Epiphone Zenith series but I think it may just look out of place for the music I play (garage indie/rock/blues/punk.) Ideally I'd like something that would fit equally well with a garage band and a jazz or blues combo.

I've kinda ruled out the Epiphone Jack Casady a I've read about enough problems with the construction (particularly the bridge) to turn me off.

Let me know what you would recommend...
  2. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Gibson midtown
  3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Just found a Lakland HB at a great price and snagged it (like you, I did not need it but could not pass it up!)...I am extremely happy I did it...

figure out a way to get one....I think you will be VERY pleased...the single coil Chis are awesome pickups!
  4. TimBosby

Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be another Jazz bass... but the single coil Chis sound interesting. I want a nice woody thump.
  5. m1ghty GIR

m1ghty GIR

I tried out a Gibson Midtown at a local store, and it has an absolutely amazing sound. The only drawback I saw is that it's not really versatile. Another Gibson hollowbody you could look up is the ES-335 bass, it's kinda expensive but I've only heard good things about it.

In conclusion, if you buy Gibson, you won't go wrong.
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I haven't heard of any widespread problems with the Casady bass.

Either way, if I wanted a hollowbody and had a grand to spend, I'd pick up a Gibson Midtown. A couple weeks back, one online site had them on sale for $779. Can't beat that.
  7. MR PC

MR PC

Oscar Schmidt Delta King, out of production. 100-300 bucks, in Blueburst or Black. All Sapele construction, bolt on neck, independent center block like the Jack Casady. Made in Indonesia by slave labor assisted robots. Go ahead and laugh..;)
  8. basspraiser

they are interesting....maybe more aggressive than you are looking for....maybe finding an older one with Darkstars?
  9. shaboda

shaboda Supporting Member

i know u said longscale..... but i have an ibanez artcore... shortscale...and i love the thing.
  10. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

I was in the same boat last year. While looking for a good deal on a Skyline Hollowbody this First Act Custom Shop (yes, THAT First Act) came up for under a grand so I took a chance on it:
    [​IMG]
    Sweet. Cedar top, checker binding, a Darkstar and Kent Armstrong pup. Neck is pretty "jazzy" so may not be exactly what you're looking for, but my point is that if you're not in immediate need keep your eyes open. There are some interesting small shop semi-hollowbodies out there.

There's a guy here in Cincinnati that makes Semi-Hollow 50s PBasses out of old whiskey boxes, etc..:
    http://www.groveguitars.com/bass.html

Don't know the guy and I've never played one, but they look cool and of good quality. He occasionally puts basses up on craigslist. Right now he's got this new chambered PBass for $1100, so not way more than what you're looking at.
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/4230495565.html

Fender even sells semi-hollowbodies in Japan.

Of the ones mentioned I have played the Lakland and the Gibson Midtown.

The Lakland was really top notch and I have the ChiSonics in my DJ4 and they are awesome.

The Midtown neck would probably be more to your liking and it sounds OK, but it just felt...cheap. I'm no Gibson bass basher. I have a couple that I love, but the midtown feels like a toy next to the First Act (odd, eh?).

BTW Tim, your old Deluxe Jazz is getting a lot of love these days...
  11. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

DIPINTO all the way for me:bassist: you wont be disapointed

Attached Files:

12. basspraiser

Fournotfive

That is a great looking bass!
    interesting pick up configuration
  13. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Another vote for the Jack Casady bass. I've had mine since 1998. It does everything and has a wide range of tones.
  14. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

warwick star bass
  15. TimBosby

That is great, man, I am glad to hear the Ol' Amber is getting action. I did many great shows and recordings with that bass.

That First Act is gorgeous. I am checking out this cigar box bass guy and GASing for stuff. lol

16. TimBosby

Now I am completely head-over-heels with the idea of getting a pre-Prohibition-era whisky crate top bass from Grove Custom Guitars... double F holes semi hollow - one pickup right at the neck and one in the sweet spot. Maybe TV Jones or Darkstar or something similar? :help:
  17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Why must it be 34" scale?

"I want a nice woody thump." When it comes to hollow body basses, that's much easier with a short scale, ime.
  18. Rugaar

Rugaar

That was my line of thinking when I bought my hollowbody.
  19. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Weird nobody has mention the framus star bass. I own one and they are excellent. Tone for days. 32 Scale though. I'll upload some soundclips later...
  20. woodyng

woodyng

First of all,that First Act bass looks amazing!
    "Woody thump?" Yep,that is pretty much what i look for with a HB,too.
    My journey has included the following;all of which i've owned and played extensively:
    Greco Super Beetle (which is disqualified per it's 30" scale,but the sound,the sound!)
    Epi Jack Casady, nice sounding bass,didn't like it's ergonomics or feel.
    Lakland HB skyline,original series,undoubtedly the best overall.
    Forgot the model,long scale Ibanez hb,which was pretty nice,nothing special to me,though.
    Danelectro Hodad,the earlier-run longscale 3 pickup model,great bass,more balls than anything else. This was their best bass,but they made another longscale 2 pickup bass that was nice.
    Rick 4005,well extremely nice,but now only available for huge bucks,leading us to:
    Italia Rimini,a very well done homage to the 4005,great sounding humbuckers,and a very good feel overall. (33 1/3 scale,just like the Rick)
    Carvin AC series. I have a fretless 4 and a fretted 5.With tapewound strings,these basses sound fantastically clear and thumpy,and have great feeling necks. The only basses i might compare them to are a turner ren and a Godin,neither of which i have had the opportunity to check out.
    I also played a 60's short scale Fender Coronado which wasn't bad,but it had rw strings,so it was hard to,judge the kind of sound it would get with flats or tapes.