1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recommend a multi effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scottman72, Oct 21, 2013.

1. scottman72

scottman72

Hey guys, looking at the possibility of going to a stompbox/multi effects set up and was wondering what everyone experience has been. I had been using a rack mounted line 6 bass pod with a separate tuner, using mainly compression and overdrive on the line 6. I would like to find a comparable floor unit that has a tuner built into it as well. Again, tuner....compression and drive are my main features I'm after. Thanks!!

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

3. JakeTrippATW

JakeTrippATW

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gripick Guitar Picks
    The Zoom B3 is a nice one. Lots of options, and pretty easy to dial in.

4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

B3 all the way, just got one and I love it.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: I liked my old BOSS GT-6B, and you can pick up secondhand ones for pretty cheap - but it's large in size too. If I was in your shoes, I'd just get two separate little mini stomp box petals - and a clip on tuner.

8. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

+1 on GT-6B. Never tried Zoom but hear great things.

9. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

I have a Boss GT10b, awesome once you get the hang of it. Has great sounds, fairly easy to use, only needs one power supply, expression pedal and easy to set up. Has midi, digital, you can go straight into the desk. Suits my needs

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Another vote for the B3

11. autodidact

autodidact

Zoom B3

Do yourself a favor

12. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

+1 on everyone recommending the zoom b3. it has a large variety of effects, amp and cab models. I've made some sound samples of the zoom b3 on my soundclick website. here's the link.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Zoom B3 ... hands down.. I have owned a Gt-10B and it was good .. but it was not for me.. it was too big, too much and way more thnan I needed.. The B3 is perfect for someone who uses a few effects. The effects are very well done.. I don't use OD so I rteally don't know what is a good OD or not .. but I imagine that even if the stock patches were not to yur liking you could tweak in something that you liked. The B3 is the best bang for the buck in a multi.. and the bang is extremely banging...

15. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

I don't disagree with everyone suggesting B3 at all, but as far as your interest in drive goes and the relatively inexpensive nature of the B3, especially if bought used, I would suggest an inexpensive but good sounding analog overdrive to go with it. IMO overdrive is the one effect where analog truly stands out as much better than digital. I know this goes against your desire for a do it all multifx but two pedals is no big whoop. I have a Hardwire CM-2 that I really like and I believe deserves more props and is pretty inexpensive. I know there are a zillion other suggestions as well. I think you'll be glad you went this route. That said I never used a B3 so I don't know how it's drive/distortion is, this is just a guess from reading people's comments and enjoying the CM-2 so much. I'm not an analog freak either.

16. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Getting a separate drive pedal might not be a bad idea. I don't thing the distortions, ods and fuzzes are terrible on the B3 but I don't use that much either because my dirt pedals sound a lot better than the dirty bits of the B3. You can get a really nice synthy gated fuzz sound with the Vsynth and noise gate on the B3 though and if you crank the gain on some of the amp sims you can get a pretty nice od sound.

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

18. scottman72

scottman72

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with responses to the thread, I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Not by choice lol. Sounds like the majority is for the Zoom B3, which after reading about seems to have all the features I'm looking for. I'm a little confused about the DI output of a multi effects though.....is it sending an unaffected signal out or is it the same signal that would be going to my power amp? I guess I'm thinking my FOH sound would be unaffected?