1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recommend a P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 80jazz, Mar 6, 2014.

1. 80jazz

80jazz

I am about to take possession of a Precision bass that needs a pickup. Having never really explored this market, I'm unsure where to start. If it's out there, I'd like something that puts out the sweet low mids that P's can produce, but has a sharper high end than your typical Fender P pickup. This is a split-coil, not a single if that is helpful. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Edited to add: I'd like to avoid EMGs if at all possible.

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I would recommend EMG Actve
    Pups..what you drscribe is what they can produce..
    But I see you dont want EMG..

3. 80jazz

80jazz

My only concern is the bottom end. I could be basing this off of my Steinberger. I probably need to try out an EMG P pickup before totally writing them off. If there is no alternative, I will give it a shot.

4. Fragile Thunder

Fragile Thunder

I just ordered a new Bill Lawrence P46 for my CV Precision. From the samples I heard it was far and away the best bang for the buck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I love the Fender Original 62 RI pickup, which has great highs with Rotosound Swing Bass strings without sacrificing bottom.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I always recommend the Curtis Novak Charlie Christian

8. Danno1985

Danno1985 Supporting Member

I've had great luck with the SD SPB-1, currently have a Fralin in my P, and it is also excellent. Both pickups have a wide range, nice and thumpy at the bottom, good clarity at the top. I'd recommend either whole-heartedly.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

A couple here have Seymour Duncan SPB3(aka quarter pounder) and more have DiMarzio DP-122's(http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-DP122-Model-Fender-Pickup/dp/B0002GLBUK).
    Sound?
    The SD seems to have a lot more bottom but less high end(so much so that when BOSE is used I have to CUT some bass out on the controller).
    The DiMarzio's a micro humbucking, have a much fuller sound with the EQ flat. They came stock in a number of basses in the 80's(Ovation UBK-1 and some Hondo's). You also can wire them with a switch to get more sounds(The Ovation UBK-1 came from the factory with the switch system).

Your post indicates the DiMarzio would be a better fit and the price is usually affordable.
    An Epiphone P-Clone Accubass(eBay find) came here for $147 but the factory pickup was uneven and sounded really lame/flat/lacking but the neck is great and it is a light(weight-wise) bass. $59 later it has the DiMarzio in it and sounds AMAZING, a night and day difference. Another workhorse bass is born.

Attached Files:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I thought EMG actives in Steinies sounded pretty great ;) But it's cool, they're not for everyone.

Been my experience that pretty much all vintage style P pickups can do treble pretty well. I'd stick with that style if you don't want to go active. It doesn't have the loudest treble response, but IMHO the new EMG Geezer Butler P is 100% passive and has the best sounding treble response I've heard. The 62 Original it replaced has louder treble, but it was more about the way upper mids than low mids with the 62 Orig, and it could get a little out of control with them and the treble. For me, the Geezer's really balanced and has good freq response everywhere, and nothing sounds overdone but it's got plenty of balls.

Yes, I'm an EMG endorser, but I've only been one for a week ;) and I wouldn't endorse it if I didn't really dig it.

11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

12. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini

My '72 PBass has a Seymour Duncan Antiquity with the raised A poles. Love it.

13. Toptube

Toptube

I stumbled across these P bass pickup demos in a thread here. They aren't straight, flat comparisons. Excellent playing to backtrack, with eq that in my opinion, really showcases the voice of each pickup.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7b88q8uy5hYTFdmcGZNM1hURFE#

based on these demos, your description, and my interpretation: I think maybe the Sadowky or the SD quarter pounder (SPB3) could be what you are looking for. But hey, take a listen yourself!

14. 80jazz

80jazz

I do like the sound of those pickups, but I use my Steinberger with the bridge pickup off. I can get some bottom out of it, but would prefer not to change my technique for that to happen (which is what I do with the Steinberger, but I don't find this to be a bad thing). This is why I'd like to avoid EMGs.

15. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    The 1/4" diameter magnets in the SPB-3 Duncans provide expanded frequency range including sharper high end. Very popular for upgrading problem P Basses.

16. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Fralin, stock. You will NOT be disappointed.

17. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest

+1

I played a dudes p bass with EMG's just the other night and thats kinda what your describing.

Still, I highly recommend Lindy Fralins. Simply the best IMHO

18. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
  19. 80jazz

80jazz

After listening to the samples, I think I dig the SD QP. However, I think I need to check out the Fralin pickup before I pull the trigger. Thanks again for the input. It has been most helpful.

20. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I've used the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in a couple PJ basses with good results.

I use 500k volume pots and a Fender TBX tone control for additional "clarity" if I need it.

21. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

l have 12 p bass's and l like to put different pup's in them, to see what is what, l was told it is personal preference, well yes and no. if you want vintage p sound there are pups for that, if you want a different sound there are good ones. what are you after ?