1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recommend an Inexpensive P'up Mod for Epi EB-0?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

The stock p'up is not only pretty horrid sounding, but has gone microphonic as well. I'd like to stay passive and make it a minimal-work mod. Might add a second p'up later at the bridge or sweet-spot, but for now I just want some even-ness across the bandwidth, and some good definition in the lows.

Open to constructive ideas.... thanks!

2. basskababble

basskababble

The model one from dimarzio comes highly reccomended. I had one at my door for around 80 or 90 I think.

Stay away from SGD Luthiere.

I've heard good things from others about some other custom makers but they are all going to be in the 250 range.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Thanks for the reply. May go that way- I actually had one in a similar Gibson years (years...) ago. Liked it- also had one in a Schecter I modded, great there too. Just wondering what else is out there though, so I'm still listening!

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

OP asked for a cheapo mod. The cheapest mod would be to pot the pickup to deal with the microphonics then have the coils attached in parallel rather than series. In series, a mudbucker has a DC resitance of 30 k ohms. Rewire the coils in parallel and you are down to 7.5 k ohms. Caveats ahoy; DC resitance tells you nothing/very little/only a rough estimate (delete according to your personal opinion) on the tone of the pickup. However you will be shifting the resonant peak of the pickup allowing more treble content to shine through. It may even sound a teensy weensy little tiny bit more like a P bass, and less like Jack Bruce. Contrary to popular opinion (on Harmony Central and all the 'shredder' forums at least), humbuckers with the coils in parallel still produce a sound. I took two Artec hotrails pickups and rewired them with the coils in parallel. These pickups had a DC resistance of ~12 k ohms, and now have a resistance of 3 k ohms post mods. They still sound exactly like a pickup should. They aren't weak, thin or tinny. Even better, they no longer have the obnoxious 'cocked wah' Boston/Michael Schenker tone that they had when the coils were wired in series. I mounted these pickups in an electric mandolin, as the stock Strat pickups were horribly noisy and imbalanced over the string courses.

Now if Epiphone are not sticking 30 k ohm sidewinder replicas in their EB-0s then a lot of that will not apply.

A Curtis Novak mudbucker may well cost more than your Epiphone, but it would be the final word in terms of a Mudbucker repro, and of course he is flexible enough to put a different pickup under that cover if you desire.

The cheapest option is those pesky Artec mudbuckers that ship from China, cheapo style. Out the box you may find the coils mis-wired and/or the magnets attached incorrectly. Even when they are fixed up they are still microphonic and lack balance between strings. Good luck!

Dimarzio Model One. The oldschool '70s mod. Takes you back to 1976!!! Visually obviously different from the stock pickup. Interesting wiring options available. The DC rating is about 1/3 of an original Gibson sidewinder, but still punishingly hot at 11k. Mount this down at the end of the neck on your EB-0 and it will still be muddy, but with more treble a Gibson unit.

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I found that the stock Gibson SG pick up sounds very good in the Epi, much better than it does in the Gibson. Not sure why but it does and you can find them cheap.

8. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Thanks you guys! great ideas- I dig that Novak, but sadly I am fairly busted here- else I'd have sought out a real Gibby and gone from there. Still the play and feel of this Epi knock-off is pretty good, a fun bass.

Anyway I'll probably look into that mod for the p'up I've got here. I know a guy locally who can help with the rewiring to parallel, etc. I'll report in again with a follow-up... thanks again!

9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

That Gibson p'up might be interesting...

10. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

You have to go find the wee wires that join the two pickup coils together. They may well be buried under the electrical tape they bind the coils up in. This is a delicate job! However once you dig them out the world is your oyster... any 4-wire pickup mods are possible, such as coil taps for each coil half etc...

11. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Pretty cool, I'll go solicit some help with this. Thanks!

12. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

If you try the rewire job and don 't like the results , I love my EPI EBO with Di Marzio 1 and Hipshot Supertone bridge . This is a fun inexpensive bass . I currently have rounds on but want to try flats and tapewounds. Sounds great through my Berlin combo / NY151 cab.

13. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Thanks TN, as I may have said I had the Model-1 once on a Gibxon EB-0, and it was a nice little rockin' bass. I also had DiMarzio Half-Rounds on it for short-scale, and those were really good strings for that combo. Just .02 on the strings there...

14. gingerbeer

gingerbeer Supporting Member

15. Bompa

Bompa

I have been waiting for a Dimarzio for going on three weeks now. M F has them back ordered as does guitar cent. Got the Hipshot installed, but I am stuck until the 120 gets here.... must be a run on them someplace!

16. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

The Hipshot and Model 1 are the ticket for these basses IMO.

17. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Get an Artec EB-0. It's inexpensive (30$), wound to classical spec and works well. And it can be wired in parallel if you want to lose the mud and get a more even tone.

18. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

I have an Artec 2-band circuit in my Hamer bass, works fine, sounds great... sounds like a worthy shot there, Stealth. Thx.

19. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have heard that Artics often come miswired, magnets loose or polarity reversed, etc. Check out thoroughly before installing if you go that route.

20. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

+1

I can back this up with personal experience. I purchased two. The magnets, and coil wiring, were wrong on both. The magnets were not consistently fitted incorrectly, but were always fitted incorrectly. Artec fitted the four magnets each and every way possible that just happened to not be the correct way.

You can remove the magnets with careful application of a razor blade, but the whole 'straight from package to modding' thing annoyed me greatly.

Plus, even when they did work they were microphonic, muddy and generally not worth the grief.

21. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Okay, that killed that! Don't have time for hassles with simple things... thanks for the heads-ups!