1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommend Bass For Small Hands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canadian bass, Apr 23, 2006.

1. canadian bass

canadian bass

I've got Gas again. I am looking for a 32" scale bass or a bass made for someone with really small hands. My hands are the size of an average women. My wife being 5'10 has bigger hands than me.
    A little history. I currently play a Yamaha Motion II B which is a 32" scale bass. I bought it new in 1988. I got bored with it around 2000 and bought a MIM Fender Jazz which I prefered to the Prescision in both sound and feel but kept the Yamaha as a back up.
    About a year ago I was having problems with the A and the E string poping out of the nut, so I played a gig with the Yamaha. I recieved alot of compliments on the tone. It also felt better to me playing it so I sold the Fender and bought a new Amp at Christmas as a present to myself.
    I like the Yamaha alot but I am just Gasing for something new. My Dream was to always own a Spector NS2 but I will never be able to aford one. I love the look of them and the sound , especially Guy Pratt's NS2 on Pulse.
    My question is. Can anyone recommend a medium scale bass or a long scale for short hands. I mostly play finger style but do occasionaly play with a pick. I play 70's rock and hard rock.
    I am loking to pay between 400 to 600 new or used.

Thanks
  2. steve21

steve21

maybe some sort of EB by Gibson/Epiphone?
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Considering you play 70's/hard rock, I would recommend an older Aria Pro II. Not all of their models were medium scale, but some were. Click here for a site that lists the specs of many of their models. Those can be had for $100 - $400 depending on the condition. There is a sweet blue Aria Pro II ZZB on ebay right now, and these vintage Arias show up on ebay all the time. Fender made a 32" MIJ P-bass in the 80's which are uncommon but sell for cheap usually.
    There are several good custom builders and several production models in medium scale that hit a higher price point. Your best bet in your price range is to save a search on ebay in the "bass" category using keywords such as (32,31,33,mediumscale,"medium scale").
  4. main_sale

main_sale

Hofner 500/1 or Guild starfire II reissue both have small necks.
  5. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

If you want a 34" scale, I would susgest looking into something from Ibanez. Mainly the SR line of basses.
  6. lug

lug

[​IMG]

absolutely great sounding 32" scale Kubicki.
  7. Minger

Minger

My hands are about the same as most women...I can handle Ibanez's fine.

They're 34" though...hit up ebay on a SR800
  8. McHaven

McHaven

A little out of the 600 dollar bracket, but a Fender Geddy Lee has a very slim little neck. You may want to check one out
  9. g00eY

g00eY

there is a Gretsch bass that is of a small scale... i forget what it's called, though.
  10. dbesq00

dbesq00

I have small hands also. Try the Peavey Millennium and Cirrus Bass Guitars. The spacing of the strings is great for smaller hands. The neck is thinner. That was my experience.

Good luck.
  11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Find an older peavey foundation. Small, fast neck.
  12. canadian bass

canadian bass

Thanks. I did not expect so many responses so fast. I will definatly check out all that was mentioned. More ideas are welcomed. Thanks
  13. TreeChild

TreeChild

you gotta check out Birdsong Guitars (the link is in my sig) our basses our specialized for people with small hands. good luck on your search!
  14. RG

RG

Some years back I injured my left (fretting) hand and I couldnt stretch it out very far. I ended up getting a Fender Urge Stu Hamm signature. It has a 32" scale and the back of the neck is asymetrical, meaning the treble side is thinner. It is real easy on the hands and it has a p-pick -up and two j's and active electronics so it has tonal flexibilities. Check one out if you can. They are pretty cool little basses.
  15. ibz

ibz

I snagged a used Landing 5 string used for just a bit more than $600, and they're condsidered some of the best short scale basses that you can get. Come in 30" to 32" and 34" scales. But new they're over $1100.

http://www.landingbass.com/

But Ibanez's have really small spacing and a thin neck, get a used Japanese SR from the 90's and get a great playing bass for cheap. At the used music store where I work, we just sold a used Japanese 4 banger SR for $110 so the deals do exist.

Good luck.
  16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

It's 34 inch scale, but Fender Geddy Lee's have fabulous small necks.
  17. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

Check around fro an Ovation Magnum solidbody. The originals not teh Magnum II or the other variations. They are a great rock-and/or roll bass. Lots of tonal variation between the neck and bridge Pu. Very thin neck. Its all mahogany with an ebony fretboard and a graphite strip running the length of the neck. They are in a kind of weird zone for price. They go for either $200 or so or $900 or so depending on how hip the owner is etc. Apparently some major label musician was playing one in a video a few years back so the price went up. I've had mine for almost 20 years now and I will be buried with it. Seriously, I want a bigger coffin so I can have it strapped on top of me when I go under.
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You gotta be kidding about the Magnum. I owned one for a while, and I found it just as difficult to play with my smallish hands as any baseball-bat neck. It has a flatter profile front-to-back, but it is wide. I would have kept it except that it specifically was uncomfortable on the left hand.
    Of course everybody's MMV.
  19. KeithBMI

KeithBMI

The Jet or something.

Great bass for the cash, it's cheap, but I was tempted to pick one up because it was so fun to play.
  20. Minger

Minger

Oh yeah, I've also heard of the Samick Corsair - apparently its the same scale as a guitar.