Recommend me a $500-$600 dollar amp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ExTek, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ExTek

ExTek

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section. I'm going to be getting a new bass and a good amp (that I actually own, since all I've ever done is borrow small combos) soon, and I am not really good at finding a good setup. So I was wanting to see if you guys could give me a good setup!

So, here's what I am looking for:
    Preferably, a head and cabinet setup. I wouldn't mind a combo though.
    2x10 speakers
    Something that sounds tubey.
    Something that is good for both low-volume apartment playing, but also loud enough to cut through in a loud band setting.
    Most importantly, around 500-600 dollars

Thanks for the help guys! :bassist:
  2. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

For a loud band i'd go 410 or bigger. Grab an Ampeg PF-500 ($250 used) and maybe an Ampeg 410HE or SVT-410HLF. It's best to buy used for your budget.
  3. Mechanical

Mechanical

Go to carvin.com. Excellent value for the money.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can probably get a good head and cab for 6 bills if you go used. Check the classifieds and Guitar Centers used section. A GK 700rb II and a GK SBX plus 410 cab can be had together in your budget.
  5. ExTek

ExTek

I'm checking out all the suggestions now! I'm liking the idea of the 410 cab. I never really check out GK but they look and sound pretty good to me!
  6. Chapbass

Chapbass

7. ExTek

ExTek

That doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it'll be available after the month is over.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Buy used. Budget $450 for a used head and $400 for a used cab. Check TB classified often. "Something that sounds tubey?" Meh—you can always get that with a VTbass pedal. First get clean and loud, affordable, and of course reliable. "Tubey" is such a vague idea. If you want some degree of dirt, sag, compression, grit, gank, and grind, leave it to a pedal rather than having it baked in.
  9. tgriley62

tgriley62

Bought this Hartke LH500 & Peavey 2x10 for about $480 last month. Great sounding head

[​IMG]
  10. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

HARTKE LH1000! Nuff said. You wont find a 1000watt head for less and its from a reputable company.

Im gonna have to get a hartke tattoo on neck so I dont have to type LH1000 so much :D
  11. ExTek

ExTek

That's a good idea Jim. I never thought of it that way. I might get a Verellen Meatsmoke preamp pedal later on down the road. I'm going to take a look at the Hartke stuff soon. I really need to get to a music store and actually try these suggestions.
  12. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
  13. bassinplace

bassinplace

I've got the Fender Rumble 350. Had it for a few years now. I don't play out a lot, but they usually D.I. it when I do anyway. It's been a great amp, I really like it.
  14. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

15. ExTek

ExTek

Yeah I've had experience with the rumble 350. It's going for cheap now, I remember when my buddy paid 500 so for it. But the only problem My band had (I was a drummer at that time) is that the drums drowned the bass out. We played a lot of heavy stuff. Even when I would quiet down, I'd get so pumped that I would play loud again. That's why I may need more power.
  16. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    +2
  17. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Adding more speakers will let you be heard more easily than more power.
  18. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

True. But, the new Peavey MiniMega 1000 is also 1000W head for $499, and from a reputable company.

The Hartke has the advantage of a tube preamp, which is nice. And it's rack mountable. But, it's 19" x 14.5" x 3.25" and 32 pounds.

The Peavey has the advantage of being smaller and lighter. It's only 8 pounds. And it has a 4-band, semi-parametric EQ, versus the 3 band EQ in the Hartke.

They both have built-in compressors.

Personally, if I had to choose without being able to try them both, I'd probably choose the Peavey for its smaller size, lighter weight, and more flexible EQ. Then use a Sansamp BDDI or VTBass pedal in front of it to get the "tubey" sound I like.
  19. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

This +1000.

That's why grab a 410/610/810 instead of a 210 with a 300-500 (or more) amp. More volume, fullness (IMO), and you won't have to crank as much to be heard.
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass