1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recommend me a finish! (Vintage Univox content)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassistjoe93, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, couldn't quite decide where to put it.

I picked up this Univox Custom 335 guitar on the cheap from a guy on CL the other day. Everything was a mess... Guy sanded off the finish (except the back for some reason) and slopped some crappy clear coat on it. 40 years of accumulated gunk and ignorance of how to treat a guitar really did a number on it. It still had the original strings when I bought it!

Anyway, I spent a full day cleaning all the parts, tuners and body, as well as testing and cleaning the solder joints. Brought it back to life! After it was all said and done, I realized that while the natural finish was cool in its own right, I want to do a cool semi period correct nitro finish to it. Here's the guitar:

uploadfromtaptalk1357276959567.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1357276984079.jpg

I've been looking at reranch colors here:
    http://www.reranch.com/colors.htm
    Specifically, I've been looking at lake placid blue metallic, vintage cream and daphne blue. I personally have a thing for metal flake finishes, but I'm open to anything. Lemme know what you think!

2. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

Here's the back w/ original greenburst finish
    uploadfromtaptalk1357277862345.jpg

Pretty cool, but I don't think I wanna go through the trouble of going back original at this point.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

No love for teh univox???

4. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

how is the finish on the back? by that i mean, is it smooth, ready to take your final paint job, etc.

assuming it is (or you can get it that way--and looking at the job you did on the front, i have NO problems on that score)....

i am sorry, but i have always had a thing for red-sunburst...not sickly green like was on it....but but pure, lovely red sunburst...see image link below.

i know it will be more trouble, but if you can do it...wow!

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/300/222835446.jpg

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

The back is relatively flat, I would just need to do some minor sanding to scuff the finish and apply a primer, then the finish.

That's a nice burst. I've considered doing one. I like the red sunburst, especially like this: uploadfromtaptalk1357520491244.jpg

At this point, I'm open to any color suggestions. This project is a ways off due to school interfering, and I'm just looking for cool color ideas!

7. Salamenster

Salamenster

Bit OT, but what do all the controls do? Been keen on a semiacoustic guitar for a bit of a time, now.

8. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

I'm still trying to figure out myself what the guy did to it. The original controls were a 3 way blade and a volume/tone for each pickup. The guy I bought it from replaced the blade with two DPDT switches wired for the pickups. It does some weird stuff with series/parallel that I don't quite understand. I'm going to rewire it, but man the neck pickup is pure buttah!

Hollow bodies are a sweet animal. This one is full hollow, but gets pretty loud w/o feeding back!

9. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93

I'm gonna bump this. Maybe someone will have a cool color recommendation for this guitar?