Recommend me a good Gig-Bag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by michinho, Mar 13, 2014.

1. michinho

michinho Supporting Member

Hi there,

Could someone please recommend me a good top of the range hybird gig-bag?

I travel to gigs a lot into central London (I live in South London) so that means I get on a lot of public transport, Buses, Trains, Trams etc. Sometimes this can include a bit of walking too.

I always want to take what Bass I want without having to worry about the safety/protection of it.

So... The main feature of the bag has to be PROTECTION. The bass has to be fully padded from knocks and bangs. Completely Shock proof, because I often find myself getting onto busy trains/buses and walking through crowds etc. I really don't want to get to a gig and find my bass has any dings or scratches!

Another feature i'm concerned about is weatherproof. The case has to be completely durable against any form of rain/wind/heat/snow/mist/heat/cold... you name it! I'd hate to find the inside of the case damp, moist or any form of condensation!

It also has to be reasonably weighted and comfortable to wear on my back, because as stated, I can sometimes find myself doing a bit of walking.

Finally, Height. I'd prefer one that didn't put the top of the neck and headstock of my bass waaaaaay above my head! Like I said I get on a lot of buses so I don't want to be ducking about all over the place! Maybe an adjustable strap height would be good?

Bags i've been looking at/researching:

Mono M80
    Mono Vertigo
    igig G515
    Fusion F1
    Protec Contego
    Sadowsky Portabag

I have heard different reviews for all these cases but still can't tell which one is the best!

Please, any input would be highly appreciated since I need one fairly soon! have a few gigs coming thick and fast!

Cheers,

Mike
  2. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    I can't comment on any you mentioned, but I would not suggest the TKL High Definition 5400 series bag. It does have the majority of the features that you specified, but in my experience the zipper is lacking. I bought one about a year ago and the zipper will often open itself. I see no defects with zipper, but it will on occasion just unzip itself! Good luck, hopefully someone with experience of the bags you're researching will chime in.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I have an M-80 (Thanks Jive1!) and a Contego (Thanks Chef!)

The M-80 is a fantastic bag (I added a Guitar Tick to get the pocket space I needed) but it's ALL padding. For a soft bag, it's awesome, and will protect nicely against blunt force trauma, but it's very flexible.

The Contego is pretty sweet, and has more pocket space than the M-80 without the Tick. It is well padded, but also contains stiff panels front and back which may be handy if you do manage to whack the top of a door.

Both of those bags do tend to sit a little high on the shoulders, and they both have adjustable straps.
  4. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Mono Vertigo +1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bravesaint5

bravesaint5

+1

Vertigo is going to be your best bet
  7. Jonithen

Jonithen Supporting Member

Make that a +3, then.

Can be on the pricey side, but it is excellent.
  8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I've got an iGig 525. It's a great gig bag. Plenty of padding to protect the instrument. The storage compartments are considerable, with the main one able to fit most micro amp heads. And the shoulder straps are comfortable.

The only negative that I have to share about this particular bag? I would say the weight. The bag itself weighs almost 8 pounds. That's definitely heavier than the Mono. When you've got it loaded with your bass, a micro head, tuner, a pedal perhaps, sheet music and cables it can start to feel a bit heavy. It's great to have everything consolidated like that, but the weight of it all together can add up. Fully loaded with all that gear my own gig bag would probably weigh in around 30 pounds. Clearly, it's all about what is comfortable for you.

EDIT - Regarding protection? I think few bags are as sturdy as the iGig bags. There's plenty of padding for protection. I've used mine on mass transit quite a bit and my bass has never gotten a ding. As for weather? I've been out in some serious rain a handful of times. The outer shell is pretty weather repellant, and when I've opened the bag up everything has been pretty dry.

Hope that helps.
  9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

The only thing I don't like about my Mono M80 is the lack of pocket space. If you want a lot of room to store stuff (besides your bass) then you might want to look at other options. For sheer protection you can't beat a Sadowsky Portabag - but they are bulkier and aren't as comfortable to carry on your back. Looking at the Vertigo I'd probably recommend that.
  10. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I've been using a Reunion Blues Continental for about two years now. Great protection and lots of places for storage. You can find in US for about 200.00.
  11. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

I LOVE my Mono M80. I live in NYC and subway to all my gigs.
  12. chungweishan

chungweishan

13. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

+1 to all of this
  14. pkazzo

pkazzo

Not on your list, but should be near the top in consideration is the Reunion Blues Continental as another poster suggested. Meets all your requirements. Indestructible and weatherproof.
  15. theclashkid

theclashkid

I recently bought a mono vertigo for taking my MTD around London. It has fared well on the tube, solid enough that people don't affect the bass when the tube is crammed, yet comfortable to carry around.
    I bought mine from the bass gallery up in Camden, and they were fairly helpful there when I was in a similar situation. I was able to try a few out and see which one felt best.
    Good luck. Being a musician in London can be tricky! I remember an old double bass teacher had a black cab as it was the only car to comfortable fit his instrument whilst still being a half-sensible choice on central London roads.
    Sam.
  16. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Mono M80 is the best I've ever had. You can't go wrong with it.
  17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Another vote for Mono. I have both an M80 and a Vertigo and they're both excellent bags that will do exactly what you need.
  18. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

I am in a similar situation, i have a Contego now, but looking for a bit of higher quality for an incoming bass.

Where i am so far

The Mono Vertigo catches my interest, and i might go for it, but somebody concerned about the bass neck holder creating stains on some finish, i think they fixed the issue
    The Reunion Continental is definitely top, but maybe over the top for me, some people complain about the bass sitting too high when you strap it on
    The lighter version of the Reunion, called Aero seems a very nice alternative as well
    Finally one brand that is definitely on top of my list but more pricey is http://www.harvest-guitar.com/Bass-Bags/
  19. michinho

michinho Supporting Member

I'm still stumped on what to go for! The Monos seem great but i'm concerned that they are ONLY padding. Even though people are stating it provides ample protection I am worried because the case looks very flexible.

The Contego looks cool because it has re-enforced panels. The same goes for the Reunion Aero and Continental.

My concern is the Contego might not support my bass enough well on the inside. E.g. the neck brace doesn't seem as good as some other makes etc. Plus from some pictures the fit of certain basses looks a tight squeeze!

Completely stuck still! The worst thing is I am not in any position to try any of these out and I need to get one quick!

Does anyone know if the Reunion Blues Aero has any storage compartments?
  20. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I use a M-80. Great bag .. built very well and will protect your instrument. My only beef with it is it could have a little more pocket space.. Not much .. just a little more. As it is now I put my sheets, cables and B3 in the pocket but it is very snug.. I use a set of AT-M50 headphones at church for the Avioms and when I fold them up and put them in the case a certain way they just fit.
  21. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

I have the Mono M80 Dual bag and a Protec Contego. Both are a great choice with, as previously mentioned, the Protec having a bit more rigidity to it and more storage space than the Mono. But, the Mono is no slouch and there are no worries carrying basses in either one. I will say that I find the Mono, when carried like a backpack, is more comfortable than the Protec.