Recommend me a new acoustic (6-string)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MonetBass, Sep 25, 2013.

1. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

The truss rod is maxxed out/broken in my inexpensive first guitar, so I'm looking for a new one. I'd like to keep it less than $800 as I'm not currently gigging. It doesn't necessarily need to have an on-board preamp/EQ. Suggestions?
  2. Ibby

Ibby

You are looking for a bass guitar right?
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

Nah, boo. I think he's talking the regular guitar.

If you're into 12-strings, Fender has a 12-string acoust. guitar for not too much that just KILLS!
  4. zhollywood

zhollywood Supporting Member

Try out some Breedlove acoustics.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MonetBass

Thanks, I'll check those out.
  7. sowilson

sowilson

A used Taylor 200 or 400 series guitar. Elderly Instruments is where I would probably look.
  8. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

This is a good recommendation. Also check out your local Craigslist for used Taylors. I'm Jonseing for a used Taylor and an Epiphone Les Paul at the moment.

Nothing wrong with a little six string lovin!:bassist:
  9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Call me crazy but I always dug the sound of cheap Yamaha acoustic 6-stringers.
    The only thing that comes close are Taylors, but Yamaha has more of that "chunk" that I like.
  10. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I have to disagree. I have a cheap yammy, and what you hear as 'chunk' I hear as lifelessness. They are well made, but I think there are better sounding acoustics out there, especially for $800
  11. jmercer91

jmercer91

I just picked up a seagull maritime and I love it. Seagull has some of the chunkiest necks out there, they're made in Canada and probably the best bang for your buck.
  12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Diversity makes the world go round.
  13. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Oh yeah, the best width at the nut is definitely 1 11/16 or the metric equivalent. Larger or smaller just doesn't make for a well rounded and playable instrument IMO. Of course you might have really large or small hands or have a playing style that demands something different but really I recommend to check into what I'm saying if you have any doubt about it.
  14. MonetBass

Good suggestions, all!

I'm not a big fan of chunky necks even though my hands a slightly larger than average. For me, Strat > Les Paul, and Jazz > Precision, if that helps. :D
  15. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

16. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I have owned all three of these. You will have to play the particular instrument first though. I recommend Breedlove, Alvarez-Yairi, and Blueridge. All quality instruments and available for cheap on the used market. Ovation is nice too, but to my ear they have a certain sound baked in.
  17. retroheadau

retroheadau

I can strongly recommend trying a Maton. Not sure how readily available they are over in the US though...
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I recently picked up a used Yamaha FGX04 LTD AE that is very good for the money - I think there's a couple on GC's used gear pages for $250-$300...

- georgestrings
  19. Michael Henson

Michael Henson

I'm going to second the previous posters that said to check out Seagull...great stuff. Amazing tone, great quality and value. And the used Taylor option. Beebop yourself on over to acousticguitarforum.com and check out their classified section...They have some great deals on there.
  20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Any of the Godin sub-brands are awesome. My Norman B20 (Godin) is a fantastic guitar. The other guitarist I play with likes the sound as much as his Taylor's. I got it for $650 with a hard case at a local shop.

Also check out blueridge!! I almost got a blueridge instead of my current Norman.
  21. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Even if you did find one over there, it sure as hell wouldn't be under 800. You'd be lucky to manage that over here.