recommend me a new distorfuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Ok pedalheads, here's another "recommend me" thread. There are so many pedals out there and most of them are muff spins. Been watching a lot of video demos, but there's always another one to look at. So let me give you an idea what I'm looking for, and hopefully some of you guys will be able to take the "best tool for the job" approach and at least narrow it down for me.

My 2nd Digitech X series BD crapped out. I'll never buy another Digitech anything. Now I need something better to replace it.

To give you an idea of my tone - I was using the RAT type setting (center morph range) at about 2 oclock, almost into fuzz range. Never liked the Digi-fuzz so I stopped just before getting into that range. Tone knob about 1 to 2 oclock depending on the bass.

Signal chain is bass -> compressor -> distortion -> EQ -> Ampeg.

Before the Digi I was using a vintage RAT. Tried the RAT again, but it's too mushy on the attack and doesn't have enough gain where it counts.

Not sure if I should be looking for a fuzz or a higain distortion... or something in between. Most distortion doesn't quite get there, and most fuzz is too washy or creamy to get the chainsaw / stump grinder tone.

It has to keep the hard punchy attack with quick response on the leading edge of the envelope. Can't use something too bloomy or mushy/squishy. I play too fast for that type of fuzz. I need killdozer on the front with flames shooting out the back. Overall gainy throaty/grunty voice. More GRRR than fizz. A little frost on top without sounding "layered".

Got it? Good, I'm glad that made sense. :cool:

Most pedal demos I've been looking at seem to be either RAT or Russian Muff derived. And the rats are all squishy. I'm gonna need the mids on any Muff box. I don't know, I'm open to suggestions.

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I LOVE this little beastie:

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

That's tight. I like the way it keeps the crisp punch on the attack. And the volume swell on sustains is in the high end instead of mushing out the lows. That'll cut through a lot better. Has a bit of a buzzy layer on top, but I like the crunch underneath. Definitely different than a lot of others out there. Does it come in any color besides pink? :eyebrow:

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Some people slate the Boss ODB-3 but I love it, and I've been on this forum for many years going through through tons of pedals. Sounds like what you are looking for, unless of course you've tried it already.

Also check out the EBS Billy Sheehan pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Banned

EBS FuzzMo.. MUCH better IMO.

7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Why? Everyone who's anyone knows that pink is the color of DOOM!!! :D

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

DMB Bumble. Not as 'grindy' as a Muff, but a bit smoother than a distortion.

9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Fuzzrocious pedals aim for that kind of thing. Have you checked out the Demon?

That Diabolik vid definitely has the chainsaw vibe.

10. CraigTB

CraigTB Supporting Member

I like the Empress Multidrive. Two presets each able to be any mix of the three separate OD/distortion/fuzz channels, and each of the three channels with its own gain, volume and HP/LP filtering options, and then lo/mid/hi eq at the output.

Not sure if the flavor of the dirt is exactly what you're looking for, but it's sure the most configurable dirt pedal I've ever had.

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

You might want to browse through this thread, lots of good stuff there.

12. Beltdrive

Beltdrive

When I want to get that heavy distortion I use a custom made Texas Twister Tube Driver by Sullivan Music Equipment. You can custom design your clipping stages as well as the cutoff frequencies.
    http://texastwister.sullivanmusiceq.com/

13. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Sounds like exactly the kind of pedal I was looking for. I sent Ryan from Fuzzrocious an email telling him I was looking for a pedal that could go from mild to wild and still had punch (I used Tim Commerford as an example) and told him I had been looking at the Rattail and the Demon.

He recommended the Demon, and now every single one of my musician friends wants one too!

14. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Just contact fuzzrocious and say hey I want a fuzz and a distortion in one badass box. Boom it will be done! Rat Stache! To me it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

15. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Check out the Source Audio OFD. It's a high quality modular that can convincingly do the muff and rat sounds with better tweak ability. There are other tones in there that you may find suit your needs better.

16. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

Darkglass B3K.....can go from slight 'tube like' grit to an all out punchy roar and everything inbetween. My favorite dirt pedal by far.

17. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Wow, Source Audio does it again! I go away for a few months and they've upset the applecart yet again. That OFD is slick! I'd pay Amazon's $169 just for the Crunch Tube setting alone. I wish I had one locally to play with.

18. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Supporting Member

I spent a better part of yesterday trying out fuzz pedals at a new music store. After about 12 different pedals I was getting ready to go home and do more internet research. Then I was handed an Amptweaker Bass TightFuzz. I played with it for about half an hour and couldn't believe my ears. A very versatile pedal - can go from a grindy tube amp warmth to a scare all your neighbors heavy fuzz.

I have watched a few demos on YouTube and the earlier versions do not seem to have the Dry Low knob which brings in clean low end - it does it in a way that seems different than other types of Blend knobs, just seems better to my ears. All of the controls change the sound noticeably which allows for so many possibilities of sonic fuzz bliss.

I highly recommend finding someone who carries one and giving it a go. Here is MrExcane giving it a demo...

http://youtu.be/cupx2yVh9HQ

19. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

I tried out some Mojo Hand pedals that I liked (but they are cut in the vein of the Rat or Muff):
    The "Socrates" which I really liked (Rat based with more EQ control), and the Collosus (Russian/civil war type muff). Hard to find any demos on them but here is the Collosus on bass:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2K-8yYBRs

I use an Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter that I love for gated/precise buzzy fuzz. It kind of sounds like angry zippers to me.
    Here is a clip I put together messing around with settings:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1092078&songID=12205808

20. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Wow, thanks for all the replies. It's gonna take time to go through these and check out all the demos. But I can do a sort of quick response to each one -

Boss ODB-3: nah, everybody in metal uses it and it doesn't sound that good.

EBS FuzzMo: sounds like a great concept, will check it out

Bumble: if it's "not as grindy as a Muff" I probably won't like it. Muffs are too smooth. I'm looking for something more raw and grindy with less fizz.

Fuzzrocious: I checked out the Rat Tail and Rat King first because I'm a Rat Guy. :D But didn't like what I was hearing. Too squishy. I'll definitely give the Demon a listen.

Empress Multidrive? never heard of it. I don't really need versatility. I get one setting that works and leave it there. But that type of pedal is usually high quality. Will check it out.

John K10's thread: yes. Hi John! That thread is so long and it covers everything, I was hoping to narrow the focus to search faster.

Tube drivers: I already have one - it says Ampeg SVP-PRO on it. :ninja: I run distortion into the tube driver.

Source Audio OFD: never heard of it. Will check it out.

Darkglass: I knew this would happen. Ok, I'll try to be nice about this. Darkglass is too "subtle and sophisticated" for what I do. To my ears, Darkglass sounds like somebody put a LED on an empty box so fanbois would talk about how "transparent" it sounds. Sorry.

Amptweaker: will check it out, thx

Mojo Hand: checked out the Colossus. Really good sounding Muff with mid control. Eventually I realized it's TOO tight and clean for me. Will check out the Socrates instead.

Earthquaker is another company I'll have to check into. Not really looking for buzzy fuzz or I would have already jumped on the Megalith. Have they got something more throaty?

I'm really digging the Black Arts stuff. Would grab a Pharoah if I wanted smooth fuzz. Anybody tried the Black Forest on bass? I can only find one crappy demo in a ringy practice room.

The Oath sounds awesome on guitar. But I'm sure it would turn into a squishy mess of a delay pedal with bass. Anybody tried that one?

21. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Maybe a Blackout Effectors Musket? Also you may want to go through some of Juan Alderete's Fuzz Wars on YouTube (skip the all muff one perhaps). They can help give you an idea of what's out there. And MrExcane's demos are also worth a look.