Recommend me a tube amp and cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by outoftune, Feb 26, 2014.

1. outoftune

outoftune

I have two grand burning a hole in my pocket and am really jonesing for a tube ampand cab setup. I am almost ready to bite on a fender 100t and 410 neo but am really digging the Mesa Prodigy, which will kill my entire budget. Talkbass, help me out here, what amp and cab combination would you go with for 2g or under?

2. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Supporting Member

You have to consider the amount of power you'll need. If you can get by with the 100 watts the Fender offers, everything seems to point to that combo - IF YOU WANT TO BUY NEW.

If you are willing to get some used gear, your choices just got a LOT wider!!

You could do a used Mesa D-180 (under or about $1K) and any 4x10 cab of your choice, almost.

You could do a used Fender 100T for about $1100 and new or used cab...

Lots of choices...hope that helped!

3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Used SVT VR and used Ampeg 810. You asked what I would go for with $2K and that is it.

4. outoftune

outoftune

The 100t volume I worry about. I play ina blues band where volume will be no issue but I also play in a stoner metal band that can get loud. I will check out the Mesa D-180. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

There is a D-180 at Swing City Music in Collinsville, IL for $900. There on the web.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You have many options, really. Keep in mind that not all tube amps sound the same, or play as loud, or hold up as well, or are as easy to find, or are as easy to carry, or a whole lotta things. And that's before we even get to the discussions about cabs!

What style of music do you play? How big are the venues? Do you have PA support? Are you concerned about weight? Are you willing to deal with a vintage unit? Regarding cabs, do you care how big/heavy they are?

The more you tell us, the better the advice we can give. :cool:

8. lexington125

lexington125

I believe you need a combination of new and old:

old - a Mesa D180 or Bass 400 (NOT 400+) - prefer the version without the graphic EQ

new - one of the big boy cabs from Greenboy or Barefaced;

maybe this: http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve

or this:http://greenboy.us/cabs/view.php?model=Dually

either of these cabs will provide you with more bottom and more volume that you will know what to do with. Even with the "limited" power of the old Mesa tube amps. If I still played any gigs that required that kind of volume, this is what I would choose for around $2k

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Peavey VB-2 and a greenboy DuallyT would be my go to.

10. outoftune

outoftune

I will ha e PA support for most any gig besides garage gigs. I play in a three peice blues band, a four piece country rock band and a loud ass stoner/doom band. I am currently using a LMII and two 12's that are great for the first two bands. I used an orange terror with an ampeg 410 the other day and it had a great sound and was plenty loud enough for what I was using it for. I just love the tube tone and grind. I can live with an amp with a great tube preamp also. Weight is no issue.

11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Tube tone isn't in preamps, it is in big ol power tubes.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    One thing I like about the new Fender tube heads (100T and SB300) is that with the two channel approach, you have a great range of vintage clean tones, a great range of modern clean tones, and a great range of overdriven tones. We just recently received the new Mesa/Boogie heads (Strategy and Prodigy), so I have yet to put them fully through their paces, but they seem very, very promising, as well.

I'm also a fan of the older Mesa/Boogie D-180 and Bass 400 (I like the Bass 400+, as well, but I slightly prefer the tone of the Bass 400). The 400/400+ are pretty flexible, tonally, and can definitely dial in some sweet clean tones and some great overdriven tones. Old Trace Elliot tube heads are also very rewarding.

Ampeg does what they do very well, too. I'm a fan, though not everyone is. My Ampeg tube amps (SVT, V-4B and B-15N) are all vintage units, but their newer stuff is also good. I would definitely not steer you away from Ampeg, especially if the Ampeg tone nails what you have in your mind as "tube tone and grind."

Then you have the Orange AD200, which is oh, so glorious in its own right, and which has grind for days.

I'm a big fan of the Reeves C225, but it may not be grindy enough for you. Mine is a clean machine, though it gets a bit of hair if you push it.

Like I said, lots of great options! I do agree that the real mojo of "tube heads" is found in the tube output sections.

Tom.

13. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If I had to put a rig together with that budget I'd get a D180/400/400+ ($700-900) a Mesa PH 410 or 212 (~$550 shipped on GC used if you are patient) and a Darkglass B7K ($350?) to run up front or blended in the FX loop. Maybe some preamp tubes to experiment with ($60).

14. nysbob

nysbob

I'd buy a used V4B for $700 - $800, find a couple of used JBL cabaret cabs with K or E 140s (maybe $400 apiece) and keep the $500 or so remaining in my pocket.

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Buy used, go for an SVT/fridge and a good 410, and you can cover all three gigs with some coin to spare.

16. Cirk

Cirk

A Mesa 400+ with a fEARful 1515/66 will put you through a wall sideways and sound great doing it. Clean or dirty.

17. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

For whatever reason there are a fair number of SVT's, V4-B's, Fender 300's a Fender 400, and Mesa tube stuff on the local C-L of late! What's up with that? Everyone downsizing?

18. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

For new I would go Traynor YBA300 into their 412 or 808.

19. carbonfold

carbonfold

$2k burning a hole? Easy choices to tube amps:

Orange AD200B & OBC115 or OBC410

or

Ampeg SVT-VR or CL (which ever you prefer) and SVT810.

Want to save your back, get a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 and a pair of GK212Neo II. Not all tube, but very nice sounding rig.

Honestly, you could probably save some coin on the used Ampeg but getting the Orange at used value will always flip for the same price you invested into it. Ampegs can be up and down on resale value.

Personally I wouldn't buy the head new.... It is like buying a new car, once you leave the store, value is almost cut in half. Check out the TB Classifed.

20. outoftune

outoftune

I ended up getting an Ampeg 810 with the svt 3 pro all racked with extras for dirt cheap. I like the svt 3 but still want that tube tone. I have an svt vr coming over tonight to try. I missed one on ebay for 1300$. I cant wait to try it. For some reason I really like the versatility of the fender super bassman 300 and would love to get my hands on one. I may actually trade the svt 3 for an Orange terror 500. GAAAAAAAA, too many choices, not enough money.

21. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

You had to post this.... GAS ATTACK!!!!