recommend me cab(s) for G&K 700RB head (4x10" or 2x12" or 1x15" or ?)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fasto, Dec 2, 2012.

1. fasto

fasto

which cab should i buy for my Gallien & Krueger 700RB head?

my specifications:

it should be a flexible sounding cab since i´m playing in a stoner-/desertrock band (bass tuned down to C, much fuzz/distortion), i also love to play my active & passive basses clean and sometimes i play funky stuff with envelope filters and other effects.

the cab is supposed to be used in our rehearsal room only and should have enough power for small gigs.

i have no idea if i should go for 4x10", 2x12", 1x15" or whatever combination?

with or without horn (G&K bi-amping)?

4 or 8 ohms? (i might want an option to add sometime later another cab)

at the moment i tend to 2x12" ... does it make sense?

thx for inspiration.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

I just did a rehearsal last night with a 700RBII through an 8 ohm Avatar 2 x 12" with a horn that I scored on Craigslist. It sounded excellent against a loud drummer and a Marshall stack.
  3. cableguy

cableguy

I had great luck using my 700RB-II with my fEARful cab. I didn't biamp but it didn't need it. Since it has a mid speaker instead of a tweeter it handles distortion well. I have also played through an Avatar 4x10 and Genz-Benz 2x12 and both sounded good as well. So I would say any cab would sound good with that head, I just prefer my fEARful.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Cabs don't have power - unless it happens to be a powered cab. Amplifiers have power.

It probably makes sense. Depends very much on the particular make & model you have in mind. You can't generalize much, if anything, from driver size alone. :meh:

MM
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

My favorite cab with my 700rbII us the Low Down Sound 4x10 - not the neo. The sound is the best I've ever gotten with that GK amp.
  7. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

8 ohm GK NEO 212 would be a great start. IF you like how it sounds but need more volume, add another.

That is a scaleable, well regarded, lightweight, portable, GK biamp-able cab. Perfect fit.
  8. mcm

mcm

The old standby, 2-1x15 bag ends. Done
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1
    I loved the tone from my GK Neo 212 with my 1001RBII head. Just decided to downsize to two Neo 112's instead. I also would suggest the 8 Ohm model so you have room to expand.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 again, a GK 8 ohm 2x12 would be ideal, as adding a 2nd one is a helluva big rig.
  11. fasto

fasto

ok, thanks for all comments ... i will go for G&K Neo (II) 2x12" and might add another one if needed.

How do you people like the bi-amping feature on the amp? After reading some threads about bi-amping most people don´t like it, some do, some think its almost not hearable.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

If you have the money, I would consider the 2x112 option for flexibility reasons, but the 212 is a good choice and the bi-amp function is nice to have because allows you more control over your high-end frequencies.