1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

recommend me cab(s) for G&K 700RB head (4x10" or 2x12" or 1x15" or ?)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fasto, Dec 2, 2012.

1. fasto

fasto

which cab should i buy for my Gallien & Krueger 700RB head?

my specifications:

it should be a flexible sounding cab since i´m playing in a stoner-/desertrock band (bass tuned down to C, much fuzz/distortion), i also love to play my active & passive basses clean and sometimes i play funky stuff with envelope filters and other effects.

the cab is supposed to be used in our rehearsal room only and should have enough power for small gigs.

i have no idea if i should go for 4x10", 2x12", 1x15" or whatever combination?

with or without horn (G&K bi-amping)?

4 or 8 ohms? (i might want an option to add sometime later another cab)

at the moment i tend to 2x12" ... does it make sense?

thx for inspiration.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

I just did a rehearsal last night with a 700RBII through an 8 ohm Avatar 2 x 12" with a horn that I scored on Craigslist. It sounded excellent against a loud drummer and a Marshall stack.
  3. cableguy

cableguy

I had great luck using my 700RB-II with my fEARful cab. I didn't biamp but it didn't need it. Since it has a mid speaker instead of a tweeter it handles distortion well. I have also played through an Avatar 4x10 and Genz-Benz 2x12 and both sounded good as well. So I would say any cab would sound good with that head, I just prefer my fEARful.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Cabs don't have power - unless it happens to be a powered cab. Amplifiers have power.

It probably makes sense. Depends very much on the particular make & model you have in mind. You can't generalize much, if anything, from driver size alone. :meh:

MM
  5. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

My favorite cab with my 700rbII us the Low Down Sound 4x10 - not the neo. The sound is the best I've ever gotten with that GK amp.
  6. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

8 ohm GK NEO 212 would be a great start. IF you like how it sounds but need more volume, add another.

That is a scaleable, well regarded, lightweight, portable, GK biamp-able cab. Perfect fit.
  7. mcm

mcm

The old standby, 2-1x15 bag ends. Done
  8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1
    I loved the tone from my GK Neo 212 with my 1001RBII head. Just decided to downsize to two Neo 112's instead. I also would suggest the 8 Ohm model so you have room to expand.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 again, a GK 8 ohm 2x12 would be ideal, as adding a 2nd one is a helluva big rig.
  10. fasto

fasto

ok, thanks for all comments ... i will go for G&K Neo (II) 2x12" and might add another one if needed.

How do you people like the bi-amping feature on the amp? After reading some threads about bi-amping most people don´t like it, some do, some think its almost not hearable.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

If you have the money, I would consider the 2x112 option for flexibility reasons, but the 212 is a good choice and the bi-amp function is nice to have because allows you more control over your high-end frequencies.