Recommend me one must have pedal ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Been out of the :scowl: effects loop for about 5-10 years..
    Love to get one new toy to play with,
    sorry if this has been done to death but...

Recommend me one must have pedal ? Is it Bassballs ?
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

If you're playing country music...no. My "must have" pedal has always been some type of compressor.

Riis
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

If this thread attracts 100 posts, I bet you get at least 95 different answers.

I believe the Bassballs is an envelope filter with built-in distortion. That's probably not so widely useful to everyone, but I see from your profile that you play jam band music, and such a pedal could be fun/interesting/useful in such a context.

A mild overdrive is often useful. Compression is great, but so subtle it's not likely to give you the "fun" factor you'd want in a first pedal. Chorus is nice for sweetening things up.

You may want to consider a multi. That will give you the opportunity to play around with many types of effects and figure out what you like and don't like.
  4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

My most used effect is a light overdrive/dirty boost for loud sections or to fill out guitar solos. I use a Rat Tail for this (which is only about a 100th of the pedal's capabilities!) but there are loads of other options...
  8. St Drogo

St Drogo

You're asking for a "must have pedal", which makes me think about something practical, like a compressor, preamp or tuner. But if you just want a new toy to play with, you might be happier with something more quirky and fun. I generally like EHX stuff for that funfactor.

Also, if you just want to screw around with a new pedal, perhaps you'd like one that you can actually "play" with. Like a looper, or maybe a whammy. Or even a wah. I find that pedals like those really open up more ideas and can be very rewarding to play around with.

But if you want a satisfying new sound, you can't go wrong with a good fuzz/distortion pedal. IMHO.
  9. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sadowsky Pre-Amp
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

If ya got money burning a hole in your pocket and you want a new bass related "toy", get something meaningful. A nice leather strap, or new strings, new pickups, tuner or bridge up-grade, fancy volume and tone knobs.......whatever.

Bass players don't need pedals and guitar players use them to mask their poor playing skills.

Yeah...........IMHO.
  12. bassteban

bassteban

Tuner, compressor or drive/boost/OD. That said, I do not believe there is a * must-have* pedal. Bikes need pedals-bass, not so very much.
  13. VeganThump

VeganThump

+1

But I would have to agree with a light overdrive as well, pork loin perhaps? Also, MXR is going to be releasing their bass chorus pedal soon, it has a switchable flanger option as well! Ill be buying that as soon as it's available. ::hyper::
  14. Chamber

Chamber Supporting Member

A must-have for me is mild overdrive.... Pork Loin :)
  15. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

ha ha... all good comments... ok my profile is shaky at best, so I play in a 3 piece Jazz /funk (drums, hammond, me) and jam in a prog rock kinda thing... but am a fretless nut so.. yes compression and chorus is already something I play with...
    playing for 20 years you can get bored with just a fingerboard, those and yes a TUNER lol... unless you are tuning to the keys.. in that case my ear is my best friend... otherwise post gig beatings ;) must get sleep (early a.m. here)

keep em coming ! thanks guys !
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Hmm well, if you're already using chorus and compression, how about some kind of tube-y preamp?
  17. VeganThump

VeganThump

I bet a phase 90 with a pork loin and a fretless would sound yummy!
  18. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

that's good advice... I rediscovered the joy of spending time adjusting and setting up my basses, after neglecting them for years I wondered why they were playing like cr@p, until I took a closer look... poor babies... all serviced and re-strung, adjusted and cleaned... I even had to tend to the elctronics in some of them (scratchy pots, dying jacks) gaffa instead of stap pins :rollno:, now it's all go go go, practicing again, and gigs are around the corner... Joy !
  19. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

tube pre sounds good... and I must go hear this pork loin !!! Does it come in a soda ?
  20. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

coool... yes I forgot about the old Boss DD-3, I always wanted one of those to do the 'Jaco' sample and hold thing... is there a better sounding and more flexable delay now you guys love ?
  21. Big Brother

Big Brother Supporting Member

This is all you need to duplicate any tone on any bass:

[​IMG]

It's true, I read it in the technique forum. :hyper: