1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommend me songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I'm working on learning some modern r&b, disco, and funk songs right now. That's a genre I really enjoy on the bass. So far I've learned "want you back" by the Jackson 5, "superstitious" by Stevie Wonder, a bunch of Sly and the Family Stone, some MJ, "boogie oogie oogie" by A Taste of Honey, "living in America" by James Brown, and am looking to work on "forget me nots" by Patricia Rushen, "canned heat" by Jamiroquai, & "sir duke" by Stevie Wonder.

With that in mind, is there anything else you might recommend I try to learn? I'm also working thru some YouTube lessons that are helping me tremendously with playing in the style that I like.

I'm trying to build up a playlist of songs that I can work thru.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to put it.
  2. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside

This is a good one because it has slap, pop and finger style. Good for learning volume balance between the three techniques as well,imo.
  3. lweastdad

lweastdad

You can call me Al
    Paul Simon...
  4. stratovani

stratovani

Disco Inferno - The Trammps. So awesome they needed TWO basses!

Just don't laugh too hard over the outfits they're wearing. After all, this was the 70s! ;)
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

"Jungle Boogie" by Kool & the Gang
  6. extreme

extreme

You need some Bill Withers! Start with "Use Me" and "Lovely Day".
  7. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

These are all excellent suggestions! I'm going to download all of them, and put them in the queue.
  8. NightCat

NightCat

I don't know if you are only interested in established or "vintage" grooves but I have gotten totally addicted to a band I found here on TB.
    Vulfpeck:
    - Beastly
    - A Walk to Remember
    - It Get Funkier
  9. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

Chic - good times
    i want your love
    Narada Michael Walden - I should have loved you
    Mcfadden & Whitehead - aint no stoppin us now
    Heat Wave - Boogie nights