1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

recommend preamp for squier vintage bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ericmknight1906, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ericmknight1906

ericmknight1906

can anyone suggest a preamp that will actually fit in the cavity of a 70's squier vintage modified jazz bass 5 string?
    I recently purchased a really nice quality pre from Bass Mods. But unfortunately the heavy duty wiring and electronics required too much space.

I need a pre that has volume/bass/treble/mid/pan.

the 9 volt has to also fit. and, the 1/4 jack has to be on the control plate!

I know this is a lot to ask but I absolutely can't settle for simply bass/treble/volume preamps.

any help or advice is appreciated.

I have included a link of the bass mods preamp that I recently purchased for your reference.

http://www.bassmods.com/-3-Band-Preamp-4-Controls-ActivePassive-Plate-BEQ12-34PTAP-Passive-tone-Input-Jack-on-Plate_p_212.html
  2. aborg1

aborg1

I just installed BEQ12-35MSAP 3 Band Preamp Vol-blend-mid Stacked Treble and Bass Act/Pass Mini Switch to my Fender Squier Deluxe Active V this weekend. The axe has a killer tone. It's hard to justify spending more money when you can install this preamp and sound monster.

Give your phone and I'll be glad to help you out.;)
  3. ericmknight1906

ericmknight1906

does your squier have the typical control cavity like most fenders and squiers?? the problem i had is that all of the wiring and that fat black control module took up too much space and couldn't fit into the cavity.

thanks!
  4. aborg1

aborg1

Yes, I believe it does. I did have to do some ( tie wrap wire ) compacting but it all fit. Which particular Bass do you have ?
  5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

6. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

7. ericmknight1906

ericmknight1906

8. ericmknight1906

ericmknight1906

wow! 200 bucks is a little steep. but yes, that type of pree is exactly what i need. i will continue looking for a cheaper alternative. but if need be, i will suck it up and get a retro.