1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Recommend some "fridge" width cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by funkytoe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    My old Ampeg fridge 8x10 is 26 inches wide, and that suits me fine. I have some old tube heads that are 25 and 26 inches wide respectively that fit great up there.

But, I have been thinking about getting a smaller cab - 15/6 or a 2x12 / 6. Maybe even a 4x10 again. I would like to use these same heads, but every cabinet I come across these days is 24 inches wide or less. I know its picky, but I never like the look of a rig when the head is wider than the cab. Disliked the old Vox AC100 rig for the same reason. And I am not a big fan of laying the cab on its side.

So, my question is, who makes a good wide (25 or 26 inch) bass cab? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. i don't think you will find many.....even the 4x12-2x12 stuff seem to be offset to fit in a 24" or narrower cab....cabs for the v4b's are wide enough but hard to find.....

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Yep. That has certainly been my experience. I would rather not go the 4x12 route, although those seem to be the easiest to find. I am not opposed to vintage cabs if they have reasonably good performance. I was even thinking about trying find an old ElectroVoice EVM cab like Stanley Clarke used to endorse. On the other hand, I have thought about building a BFM Omni 15 or contacting Don at LDS about a custom order 15/6. But I thought, with all of the experience on this board, someone would have a line on a good wide cab that is already in production and readily available. So come on people, what's short and wide and makes a great bass cab?

5. one that comes to mid is those gk's with the ports/vents at either end.....i don't know if they are 4 or 8 ohm.....

6. Jimmy Riot

Jimmy Riot

Mar 31, 2010
    A lot of wide-head users are ga-ga for Ampeg V4 4 x12 cabs, myself included. There seem to be two main speakers folks are putting in, both Eminence: Deltalite 2512's and Basslite s2012's. Some say its best to just use two, as the V4 cabs have a shelf per two spkrs like an 8x10.

Search TB for "v4 4x12 cab for bass" for more info.

7. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks Jimmy. I already have some 4x12 cabs at my disposal, and I have used them in the past. But, I am really focusing on less speakers/more efficiency. That's why the 15/6 is so appealing. Anyone have a wide 15 they can recommend?

8. The Peavey VB series cabs are pretty much fridge-width.

The Ampeg 2x15 from a few years ago was the same box as the 8x10.

Mesa 8x10, 6x10, 4x12, and 2x15 I think are about that width.

9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Line6 makes the Lowdown 410 cab which is Dimensions: 29"L x 28"H x 19"D
    it handles 600watts @8ohms and 68 lbs.
    you can try to look at that.

10. Bass FreeLee

Bass FreeLee

Jan 27, 2011
    Destin,FL
    Disclosures:
    "I Slap-AhH Da Bass MOn!
    Gk 2x12 cab -- is 24.5 wide-- and super light and sounds amazing-- you can get it in 4 ohm

my neo 412 is 26 wide, only 99 lbs and easily competes with an ampeg 810

I can pick it up like a big box and go up a flight of stairs!:smug:

11. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Nice. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

12. My cab is 30" wide, which some people consider to be too much, but I personally like it, as you'll be hard pressed to find anything that hangs over the sides, plus it doesn't look small compared to guitar 4x12s. It's a Sunn 2000s 2x15. Excellent cabs IMO, if you are willing to deal with the "burden" that they are. They're a bit burly at 30(w)x48(h)x15(d), but with some JBLs in them, I still don't believe they can be beat. Plus you make all other cabs look puny. :D

13. ChasBass

ChasBass

Dec 15, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    My old Musicman 115 RH is 27" wide/ 27H/ 13D

14. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I'd recommend an old Acoustic 402 cab if you come across one. I love the one I picked up recently.

It's got 2x15's, 26 1/2" wide, the casters on the side make it easy to move around, and it fits in the back seat of a small 4-door car. It's really too bad no one (that I know of) makes anything like this anymore.

BassCabinet402 < Acoustic < Wiki

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The fEARful 15/6tube is designed especially for both 24" wide and 26"-wide tube heads. Just set the cab on the side that is right for your head. Surprised nobody noticed after all the talk about it when I was getting ready to finish the design.

[​IMG]

16. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thank you greenboy!!!!! :hyper: This is great. Are there any drawbacks to laying the cab on its side. I know that it will not be as close to my ears, but I mean "drawbacks" in terms of coupling/dispersion, etc.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Disclosures:
    It's 2" diff in height, but pretty much identical otherwise. You can always put the works on say a couple of MILK CRATES* if it matters to you ; }

* click heels three times and say "Jimmy"

18. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
  19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Disclosures:
    Heh - that's 20 years before I started playing bass. have you learned SLIDE or SMOKE ON THE LEVEE yet?</joke>

My first inclination was to load the photo into imageproc and do a little fixin', but so good to get a sense of history here.

20. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Do what you must. I have thick skin and a pretty good sense of humor. ;)

But please don't erase that old Mockingbird Bass. That was my first custom-order bass and I wish I would have kept it. In fact, I kind of wish I'd kept that MusicMan half stack too!

21. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Disclosures:
    Ah I wan't gonna photochop ya, honest - I was just gonna fix contrast and take out fade, and see if the content could take sharpening/focus.

I like the bass. I mentioned Music Man amps in another thread today. What were you guys playin' back then anyway?

As good as I can do in 2 minutes with so little resolution:

[​IMG]