Recommendation - first bass rig for a guitar player.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eR125L, Dec 22, 2012.

1. eR125L

eR125L

Hello, it's my first post over here!

I've posted this thread in another forum, but while searching around the Internet for more input, I've found this great community. Hope you guys can help me out!

Here's my story:

"I play electric guitar for about 10 years, been involved with some bands, done a few small gigs but currently I'm spending most of the time playing at home, alone or with some friends (all guitar players) that keep showing up to strum some chords.

The interest in learning bass is relatively new. I've played one before but never got the change to spend some time enjoying it... But hey, we only live once, so why not pull the trigger on a bass guitar and have some fun?

My musical references are quite diversified - Pink floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, The Who, The Beatles (...), but talking about bass, I really dig the funky slap style and all those good old disco riff's from the 70's, for example, "Narada Michael Walden - I Shoulda loved ya" is something that I would really like to play one day!

So... I want to got to a store, choose a bass and an amplifier and start shooting, but despite knowing very well the electric guitar market, I know zero about bass guitars and amps.

The budget is 500€ (bass and amp).
    I'm searching for something that i can play at home alone and with some friends that play guitar. It does not have to be loud enough to cut trough a drummer, but i want it to be loud enough to keep up with an electric guitar (about the same volume as a guitar tube amp with 5 watts).
    No effects, modellers, just one nice tone!

I can tell you that I play a Fender Stratocaster American Standard in a Marshall JTM, so I was thinking about trying a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass, since I've experience with Squier Classic Vibe Telecasters and Stratocasters - they are very solid instruments! Amp-wise... I don't really have a clue!!"

Sorry for the long post... Thank you for your support!

2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Right on. Get a Squier.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Definitely go with a vintage modified Squier Jazz Bass. As a guitar player, you're going to like the thin neck which will give you fast action if it is set up correctly. I have acquired many of these basses and have not been disappointed with any of them. Even the Affinitys can be set up correctly if you take the time. Once you get started, you're going to like it. I love playing the bass! Good luck!

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Since you like single coil guitar pups, Id say a J pup bass makes sense as what your likely going to favor for bass pups. I relate soapbar and humbucker bass pups to humbucker guitar pups for same reason of similiars. But still,, try some soapbar pup basses with active eq/ Like Ibanes Sr300 on up. Since youve been playing a american strat for awhile, might concider higher level fender bass as well in used market. So long as you avoid the silly high price for imo medocre amer vintage fenders. Warwick, washburn, and Mtd also make some nice mid price J pup basses that might be worth a try. New and used.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eR125L

eR125L

Thank you guys!

As a guitar player, I think I can sit down with some basses and choose what I want according to my taste, even not knowing how to play a bass, I know what it is comfortable to me. Keep the models coming, I will try them!

But the amp is another story. I don't know the market/brands/models, and my ears are not trained to tell the difference between all the tones available. Can you give me some input about amps as well?

Thank you!

7. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

I am a relatively complete n00b here, but having monkeyed with guitar for years and played bass in a local band no one ever listened to for more than 10 minutes I might be able to offer a bit of insight. All that to say that the Squier Jazz will do you right. A lot of folks have a lot of love for Ibanez and they are great basses, but I find their necks uncomfortably small, almost like playing on what amounts to a pencil. Not sure why that is because the sizes between the GSR200 (A common recommendation) and the Jazz indicate that the Ibanez neck is actually wider, but they sure don't feel that way to me.

Ass usual YMMV, and most likely will....

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I, too, have had a very good run with Squier. If you think it might be more comfortable, given your six-string experience, you might want to try out some short-scale basses to see how they feel.

Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SS
    Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
    Mikey Way Mustang Bass

These are all short-scale (30" vs. 34") and will be a lot closer to the size you're accustomed to. Another thing the Mustangs and Jaguars (long and short scale) all share is the slimmer Jazz neck. It's just a guess on my part, but I suspect they'll feel more comfortable to your guitarist's hands.

On a personal note, I'm a big fan of the variety of sound you get from the Precision+Jazz pickup configuration. The Jaguars have this, making them stand out even further among the current Squier line. The discontinued Squier Standard line had a P-Bass Special (my personal favorite!) that blended elements of both Jazz and Precision basses [P-body, J-neck, P/J pickups], but you'd have to find one used or an as-of-yet unsold item somewhere.

All opinion aside, go forth and try out as many as you can. See which one(s) feel and sound the best to you. Then let us know what you picked out, complete with pictures. Happy hunting! :D

9. Donkey17

Donkey17

My story is a bit similar to yours. I was a guitar player for 14 years before switching to bass 2 years ago to help out a friends band.

So I borrowed a Thunderbird from a friend to learn a few songs. I just could not switch easily, it was so foreign to me. After two weeks I just couldn't adjust to the scale difference that well. Practising on my own was ok, but as soon as I got into the rehearsal space I was always just short I the frets.

Anyways, ended up rushing out and picking up the Squier Jag Short Scale. Straight away it all just worked......I love that thing now. I recently went to try a MM stingray and I was still all over the place.

So after all of that i just wanted to say that I agree with the poster above me, go short scale, I reckon you'll adjust quicker and call yourself a bass player in no time.

10. mcnach

mcnach

Avoid short scale.
    Get used to full scale, not that hard, and that way you have a lot more to choose from.
    I also made the move to bass from guitar, and found a Jazz easier to start because of the thin neck. Now I prefer bigger necks, and play a Stingray mostly.

11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Maybe a re-post to the amp forum is in order. As many of us can start playing without an amp. I had a 10 watt amp at home and played direct to the board for three years before getting a lightweight combo. What do you want the amp to do play in the bedroom or be able to handle a rehearsal with the band? Perhaps a modeling combo amp is in order. There is the question asked in the audition scene of The Comitments, "who are your influences"?

12. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I am a big fan of the Squier basses, especially if you like sticking to Fender style instruments. Even my Affinity Jazz is pretty solid and took a decent setup, so lots of options at different prices in the Squier line. I prefer long scale myself, but I will say switching between the full size J bass and my strat make the strat feel like a toy.:)

On amps, I say look around and get the most you can, new or used, in a small combo amp. If you don't need to contend with a drummer, or take to the stage, any small amp ought to do, just a matter of finding one with sound and features you like, in your price range.

13. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you're trying to stay within 500 Euro for a bass AND amp, go with the Squier bass and an Acoustic B100 amp. Not too expensive, sounds really good for the price. Heavy as heck though, so eat your Wheaties before venturing out on a gig.

[​IMG]

They can be had for under $300 in the US. Not sure what they ask for it in Europe.

14. eR125L

eR125L

I will try to post an amp recommendation topic in the amp forum, just don't want to open another recommendation thread without having a clue of what amp I should be looking for.

After Christmas I will get my hands on a Squier classic vibe bass! I will aim for the Pbass or the Jazz bass. The one that fits in my hands will be the best bass. I don't want it to feel like a guitar, I want to learn the bass :)

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Squier CV and a cheap combo used off CL.

16. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I have to disagree with you. There are many short-scale options. SX makes short-scale variants of Fender's Jazz and Precision basses (and basses with both P and J pickups). Ibanez also has a short-scale bass with P/J pickups. Then there are the hollow-body basses to take into account (most of the well-known/popular hollow-bodies are short-scale).