1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommendation for good work boots?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I need a good pair of work boots. I am tired of my cheap boots hurting my feet. I need good arch support as I am getting plantars fasciitis. Steel toe and shank would be nice but make for a heavy boot.

I am not a professional carpenter, but do play one on TV. :) Actually I have quite a few house remodeling projects going on that require good footwear.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It'd be worth it to check out Red Wing.
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Timberland is what I have and they've lasted well.
  4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

+1
  5. JFOC

JFOC

6. Truktek2

Truktek2

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

If you're on a lot of concrete surfaces, the DuraShocks from Wolverine are great boots.

-Mike
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Another vote for Red Wings. You will thank us later.

lowsound
  9. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I've gone through a lot of work boots but Wesco's are best I have ever had. Once they are broken in they are really comfortable and provide great support. For the Plantar Facilitas you should get a good set of insoles. There are insoles designed specifically tor Plantar Facilitas.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp
  10. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'm very happy with MY Herman Survivors from Wal-Mart. I have a Pair of Chippewah's that I Love. I rarely wear them because I want to keep them Mint since They stopped making them In USA.
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Herman Survivors are pretty darn good boots too. although I've only ever seen them at walmarts out west. actually have the pair i bought in wyoming on right now.
  13. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

Another vote for Wesco
  14. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with Royer or Red Wing.
  15. Subrage

Subrage

I just got a set of Danner Super Rainforest last week; stiff at first to be expected, but breaking in nicely!
  16. dieselbass

dieselbass

Schmidt boots from tractor supply have treated me well on 60 hour weeks. No break in, light for steel toe and good support for a 280 lb mech.
  17. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

A pair of Redwing's lasts me about four years. They're not cheap, but per annum they work out ok.
  18. atomicdog

atomicdog

Red Wings.
  19. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Here's another +1
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I put MANY miles on a pair of those that just wouldn't quit when I worked as an industrial electrician a few years back. By the time the soles gave out, the tops looked like they had been run through a shredder. And I walk hard and fast everywhere I go. It took a little while for them to break in, but any good boots I have ever owned did. To be sturdy, they will have to be made of tough leather. And tough leather doesn't give very much new. So if you get a good sturdy pair of boots, be prepared to hate them for a few days. But after that they will form to your feet/walking style and you'll be good to go.

All that being said, my dad and I both have wide feet. He says these are really comfortable to him.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...=SBC;MMcat104797980;cat104183280;cat104109480

I wear the Targee II Keens daily and they are really nice. (not steel toe though) Anything made for hiking should be more comfortable than a traditional work boot. And Keen is known more for hiker than work boots. Mine have lasted almost a solid year with daily use and they show no signs of giving up.