1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommendation for Jazz bridge pickup with good low end AND bark, fart and bite?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Dec 10, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I'd to replace the bridge pickup on my ESP P/J. It sounds OK, just doesn't have that bark and bite I'm looking for. I'm looking to stay away from a thin sound, which I know some of it has to do with the position of the bridge pickup. Still, some solid farty bite is a must, with decent low end. The P pup on this bass is absolutely fantastic, with a very nice growl and low end, so I am not looking to replace it. I generally like to solo one PUP or the other when I play.

I am going to guess that a split coil pup would do the job better than a single coil, but will that give me as much bite? Recommendations?

[​IMG]
  2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Nordstrand nj4se. That is all I need to say.
  3. tastybasslines

4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Ok cheaper? Then Seymour-Duncan SPB-2.

That should be close to what you want.

And neck pickups can sometimes be a different size, but not always.

Edit: the place I use for pickups is bestbassgear.com.
  5. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I put a Lindy Fralin single coil in my P/J, and it has good bottom end. It doesn't blend well with the P pickup, but it sounds great solo'd. While mine does hum, the cavity isn't shielded, which should work.
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Good bark, fart, and bite? Maybe a Rottweiler?

(...sorry...couldn't resist...)
  7. tastybasslines

Look at the avatar it came from (unintentionally..) :D

So far the NJ4SE sounds like with winner, and I just eat it and pay more I think, UNLESS someone can rec a sound close to those but cheaper.
  8. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

IME, a decent overdrive will give a bass that burpy, gutsy kinda sound. Maybe try an mxr od or something similar. If you're good with electronics I could post a nice jfet od schematic I designed.
  9. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Going along with Jonnybass1 and the SPB-2 "hot", there's matching bridge version SJB-2b "hot". They are "bassy" due to the over winding. For similar output and more highs, there's the SPB-3 & SJB-3b "Quarter Pounds". Similar output, more highs for causing your amp to "fart". We're working on a "Fart" pedal at Duncan for that inappropriate sound during your Primus set.
  10. tastybasslines

That's a single coil. I was reading elsewhere that I should be looking for split coil and that will provide the fart. If a single coil can do it, I'm down. I guess I could always return it...