Recommendation for Jazz bridge pickup with good low end AND bark, fart and bite?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Dec 10, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'd to replace the bridge pickup on my ESP P/J. It sounds OK, just doesn't have that bark and bite I'm looking for. I'm looking to stay away from a thin sound, which I know some of it has to do with the position of the bridge pickup. Still, some solid farty bite is a must, with decent low end. The P pup on this bass is absolutely fantastic, with a very nice growl and low end, so I am not looking to replace it. I generally like to solo one PUP or the other when I play.

I am going to guess that a split coil pup would do the job better than a single coil, but will that give me as much bite? Recommendations?

[​IMG]

2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Nordstrand nj4se. That is all I need to say.

3. tastybasslines

4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Ok cheaper? Then Seymour-Duncan SPB-2.

That should be close to what you want.

And neck pickups can sometimes be a different size, but not always.

Edit: the place I use for pickups is bestbassgear.com.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I put a Lindy Fralin single coil in my P/J, and it has good bottom end. It doesn't blend well with the P pickup, but it sounds great solo'd. While mine does hum, the cavity isn't shielded, which should work.

7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Good bark, fart, and bite? Maybe a Rottweiler?

(...sorry...couldn't resist...)

8. tastybasslines

Look at the avatar it came from (unintentionally..) :D

So far the NJ4SE sounds like with winner, and I just eat it and pay more I think, UNLESS someone can rec a sound close to those but cheaper.

9. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

IME, a decent overdrive will give a bass that burpy, gutsy kinda sound. Maybe try an mxr od or something similar. If you're good with electronics I could post a nice jfet od schematic I designed.

10. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Going along with Jonnybass1 and the SPB-2 "hot", there's matching bridge version SJB-2b "hot". They are "bassy" due to the over winding. For similar output and more highs, there's the SPB-3 & SJB-3b "Quarter Pounds". Similar output, more highs for causing your amp to "fart". We're working on a "Fart" pedal at Duncan for that inappropriate sound during your Primus set.

11. tastybasslines

That's a single coil. I was reading elsewhere that I should be looking for split coil and that will provide the fart. If a single coil can do it, I'm down. I guess I could always return it...