1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommendation for New 18" Speaker for Carvin Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by arcieangelo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Greetings,
    I'm considering replacing the stock speaker (18") in my Carvin cab. The Carvin is paired with an Epifani UL-410 cab. Epifani sounds great but Carvin sounds "slow" and dull (I suspect I should expect that out of an 18" but to that extent?). Playing through Carvin alone also sounds very drab.
    Carvin speaker rated for 600 watts (I tbelieve). Will want a speaker capable of 600 watts minimum to replace it. Don't mind sheeling out the bucks for good quality. Any recommendations??? Has anyone else out there in TB land replaced a Carvin 18".
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  2. rpsands

rpsands

Waste of time. Use the money toward another UL410.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Unless you're using the 18 as a sub in a biamped situation, I agree that it's a waste of time & money.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

another +1- just sell the 18 and get another UL410.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

An old JBL K 151 or EVM 18B would have more mids (sound faster) but good luck finding one. Carvin uses basically a Eminence Kappa Pro 18 in that cab. Takes a beating, does its job. Suggest you sell it.