Recommendation regarding American Standard Fender P and J – 2012 models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Musicman20

Musicman20

Hi all

There are many threads about rosewood/maple, colours, and pups. This one is specifically about the new 2012 models.

I currently have:

2009 Precision – 3TS/Rosewood
    2011 Jazz – 3TS/Rosewood
    (American Standards)

I have played a fair few 2008-2011 Js and Ps, some of them fantastic, some of them pretty average. On the whole, the good ones have been stunning though.

I was about to buy a matching P and J in early 2012, before the custom shop pups change.

So, I put things off for some time, and now it seems the right time to look back into it.

I would like a 2012 P and J. Totally overkill, yes, BUT, and this is the big BUT, I have shopped around for P and J boutique models, only to keep going back to the new American Standards which sound, IMO, exactly how a P and J should.

How would you guys go about it?

I am a huge fan of rosewood, in fact I only have one bass with a maple board.

But, something is telling me to try a couple of maple boards this time. Will I regret it?! Who knows. They won’t make that much difference I guess.

Next is colour. I’ve got 3TS, so the current colours I like are:

Olympic White
    Jade Pearl Metallic

What does the maple board look in the flesh with the olympic white? What does the jade pearl look like in the flesh?

Cheers all....daft questions I know.
  2. IPA

IPA

Jade Pearl for sure! Great color. They always make white and sunburst, but who knows how long Jade will be around.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I know what you're thinkin' and, lettin' American Deluxe V Jazz alone for active B string purposes, American Standard Ps and Js (not 5ers) are really THE BASSES
    So my suggestion goes for both Olympic White/Tortoiseshell pickguard, with maple fingerboard.

Look no further
    You'll be happy like that

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

White/Tort I feel works better with Rosewood. Looks super classy, like the '62 AV. I would say get this in Rosewood.

[​IMG]

See? Pure class all the way.

Also, why are the 5ers not THE BASSES? The 2008 and later American Standard 5-Strings are getting much praise around here. I love mine.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Musicman20

Musicman20

See that's it...rosewood looks stunning. Maple is great, not sure which colour combo to get haha.
  7. Musicman20

Musicman20

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

I's just that he asked for combinations with maple fingerboard,
    which he seems to prefer
    And, about 5ers, I extensively tried out same American Standard Jazz (olympic white/tort/rosewood) 5 string, before optin' for 4er
    I digged very much the American Deluxe V, with three band equalizer and on/offswitch, but I couldn't afford back in those days. It emphahsized B string, like the passive American Standard simply didn't...
    Then, I don't know why, I still prefer American Standard and the 4er was my choice...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

If you want to go with the maple boards this time around, I think the Jade Pearl Metallics are the way to go. I think they look great with the maple boards; and like somebody said, they're not as common as the Olympic Whites.

You also asked about the Oly. White/maple combination. Personally, I think they look great. Here's one I used to have. (Pay no attention to the "Flat Stanley" on the fretboard. Anybody with kids/grandkids will understand.) But again, I think I'd go with the Jade Pearls/maple if I were you.

[​IMG]
  10. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Would be cool to have a P with rosewood and a J with maple. You'd really run the gamut.
  11. Musicman20

Musicman20

Cheers for the input guys!
  12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I just took possession yesterday of American Standard P V White/Tort/Rosewood. Looks good on me, and the sound is what I was looking for. Only gripe I have is a larger than normal neck/pocket gap. Mabe it just looks bigger because of the white body. Im not gonna worry about it.:bassist:
  13. Musicman20

Musicman20

I think white can be guilty of that...but looks awesome.
  14. Musicman20

Musicman20

TO be honest, I had an 08 P and J when they first came out in maple. It was that ultra glossy coated maple that they still do now on the 2012 models.

My only issue is if the maple is really light and white; it doesn't look quite right with Oly White and Tort when it is like that.

It would be luck of the draw.

The other issue is, I quite like a maple board on a Musicman bass, but with a Fender, I haven't ever 100% bonded with one as yet....I was hoping this time around I would.

Perhaps I'm best sticking to what I know...eg rosewood. Rosewood even looks stunning on the Jade Pearl.
  15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Rather than making them match I'd go with an Olympic white Precision and a black jazz, both rockin' tort guards.

I'm a maple neck guy for the most part, but I'd stick with rosewood if it's what you lean toward.
  16. Buskman

Buskman

17. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

I rather like Olympic White and Maple.
  18. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I have matching Olympic White rosewood 2010 Fenders and a 2012 Jade and rosewood Jazz. Overkill, but I simply love 'em all. You can't miss with either color, but I think they look better with rosewood boards.