Recommendations for a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GogglesMcCoy, Dec 12, 2013.

1. GogglesMcCoy

GogglesMcCoy

Hey all.
    I'm new to TB and was just searching for some advice.
    I've been playing a Squier affintity p-bass for a little while now and want to upgrade to something a little more quality.
    My price range is about $500 plus or minus a bit.
    I tend to play punk/rock kind of stuff.
    I read some threads, and am going to go to a store to try out basses before I buy one. I'm just wondering if there are specific basses I should look out for.

Thanks!

2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

You already own the most punk rock bass :p

I would just try out as many as you can and choose the one the feels and sounds right to you.

3. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

You could try a SUB musicman stingray. Those are great. Sterling is good too but wee bit out of your desired price range.

4. wizerd

wizerd

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy_D

Andy_D

Ibanez ATK. Super quality for the money. Lots of good usable tones for rock. Solid dependable bass. Only downside is the weight at around 10 lbs +.

7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Very cool bass in that price range.

Hey Goggles, Welcome to TalkBass! Any particular reason you are looking to buy a new bass? You could land a TON of bass for that kind of dough if you look used.

8. lundborg

lundborg

+1

Though you need to try them out in a band situation to really
    know. Just because it sounds good in the music store or at home
    does not necessarily mean that it works with a band at high
    volume.

9. GogglesMcCoy

GogglesMcCoy

Thanks a lot for the recs!

I'll definitely look into the SUB and Atk.
    I'm not in a crazy rush or anything so I'll definitely shop around and try them out first.

10. willop

willop

play a lot of instruments - models, brands, etc. and individual instruments as each can have it's own personality.

what feels good (in the hands, in your mind). A cool looking instrument makes you feel better and that can make you play better.

When you find the right one it will speak to you.

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you buy used $500 bucks will go a long way. You could get a MIM Fender easily for less than that. You might even be able to score a MIA Fender. Epiphone's new Classic Pro Thunderbird is a fantastic bass at $499 new.

12. willop

willop

Yep - your choice of strings, amp, etc can have an effect on what the instrument will sound like in the end.
    The good thing about stores is you can compare many one right after the other.

I spent the last month looking. I have a ibanez 200 that i like, had a yamaha rbx, a friends peavey grind and use an ibanez 300 at lessons.
    They all sound similar, the yam is heavy and a 5 string so the idea was to replace with a lighter,low action 4 string.
    Both my basses were black, my son has a black slightly flamed) guitar and my daughter a blue strat copy that I just want to look at all day long. I want a pretty guitar.

Spend 2 hours at GC playing all sorts of instruments, from $150 to $2500. They had a used Rik that really wanted to come home with me but if the wife found out the cost I'd be homeless and its winter here...

I ended up with a dean jeff berlin player. It just felt really nice and had lots of tone shaping capabilities. I liked the mikro bass but it and the 300, 400 models they had there sounded very very similar to my 200. I'm still exploring tone possibilies so wanted something different..still searching for that sound in my head and I'm closer now.

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Whenever I hear someone's looking for an aggressive rock/punk sound, I often recommend they try out a Fender Blacktop Jazz. I won't go as far as to say, "Here's the one you absolutely want!", but just to see if you can find one and give it a whirl.

"audiomitch" here on TalkBass did a recording of one while playing with a pick. See what you think.
    https://app.box.com/s/0giiip2y1612vfjh9dix

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

I always recommend a relatively new player avoid buying used, unless it's from a big retailer with a long guarantee they won't weasel out of when he discovers a stripped trussrod or crappy non-stock fake parts or whatever. You wouldn't believe how much CraigsList kind of stuff has hidden problem$ that can get by even an experienced buyer, much less a novice.

My advice is and always will be: SHOP HARD for new gear.

Shopping hard is like doubling your budget.

I always get it for less than used price, which of course is the entire point.

Assuming he's in Canada, I don't know what big retailers can take care of him there, but outfits like Hello and others here frequently put new stuff out cheaper than the same examples are used.

I wish him luck.

15. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

For $500 you could get a used mim fender and
    Have enough left over to swap pickups.

16. milkman-27

milkman-27

For $500 you should be able to buy a new MIM Fender P

17. milkman-27

milkman-27

Nevermind. I didn't realize the price went up so high on MIM Fenders. Wow!

18. willop

willop

yes, if it says fender you need mo money. But it's a "Fender"...brand counts in many ways.
    Years ago now consumer reports did a review of chevy vibe and toyota matrix cars and found the toyota better. The chevy had all sorts of 'issues' like where the dipstick was located, etc. Funny thing -they were the same car made at the same factory.

I've been told that fenders MIM or US use the same parts...it's just who assembles them. Since my chevy truck is MIM and my subaru is made in indiana..and the chevy is more trouble free...I'm not sure where it's made makes any difference.

Most of what is different you can change cheaply. My dean guitar is made in china. The american version has diff bridge ($120), pickups ($115) yet costs $1200 more. Maybe the body wood is different, but $1000 different?

Now if you're investing then buy accordingly. If you buying to play then then IMO you need to play THAT instrument.

For a newbie/first timer used isn't a bad idea. You can get started for less money - great if you don't stick with it. You can buy a better instrument (in theory) for the same money. Often 1/2 to 2/3 of the same thing new.

As a newbie you will develop and want something else, different, second, third...17 basses perhaps. If you buy it used you won't lose as much, if anything. And a good used instrument has already shown it's flaws.

Start with a decent (mid grade brand name perhaps) P/J copy. It's a standard style that you can 'hot rod' later into whatever you want.

Spend more of your budget on the amp IMO. 75-100 watt combo.

And you'll spend more on lessons than gear for quite a while...my lessons run $20/week - $1000 a year. My two basses, amp, pedal, cables, stands total $650ish.

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Check out the Yamaha BB series - current 4-string in your budget is the BB424x, or look for a used one (there have been a number in the classifieds lately). The downside is that stores don't tend to stock them, at least not where I live. But they're killer basses, hot pickups (but passive), great selection of tones.

You might also be able to score a used Carvin in that budget.