Recommendations for a Capo?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce World Champion of Quartz-Parchment-Shears Supporting Member

Hi, all. I'm looking for a new capo and will only be using it for doing setups. I would prefer a trigger-style, but the main factor is the ability to handle 10"-14" radii across 5-6 string fretted and fretless basses @ the 1st fret.

Thanks,

Rob
    :bassist:
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

That might be a tough one. I've got a Kyser quick clip for guitar that is easy to use and works great, but it's just enough for my 4 string jazz basses. They make the same capo for 12 string but I don't know how much wider than the regular capo it might be.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det..._campaign=none&utm_term=Bing_PLA_All_Products

Good luck and let us know if you find an acceptable unit. I'd be interested in getting one myself.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i was getting ready to say, i don't think capos on basses are allowed :)

the best one i've seen is the planet waves NS dual-action, where it's a "clothespin" fast-clamp design like a keyser but with adjustable tension like a shubb. i use it on everything from electric guitar to mandolin, works great. ned steinberger is a geeeenius!

you don't want too tight of a pressure or it'll push the strings up in front of the fret, throwing off the measurements.
  4. Awesome Sauce

A local tech I talked to today suggested a Kyser, which I refuse to buy; and my guy @ Sweetwater recommended either of these: G7th Capo, Clik Capo. The G7th might work overall, but for 6ers, one would need to attack the bottom and top three strings separately. :meh: And for forty-five bucks- screw that. The Clik looks nice, but is essentially my homemade tool w/ a bit more 'zazz,' and the wide-neck version only handles up to a 1-7/8" neck. :meh:

So, I guess, meh. DIY it stays.

Rob
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Awesome Sauce

Yeah, I saw that one on Sweetwater, Walter. It looked pretty cool, and like you said- NS=genius. But, honestly, after the day I've had researching and actually talking (gasp, lol) to people who use them, I think my guy is just fine. Heck, I've made enough jigs in my life that I could probably MacGuyver a router table out of a phone book and drill bit and it would get the job done. :p j/k

Rob
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

just look for a "12-string" version of these capos for one that's long enough to cover.

the dunlop trigger would be fine, it's not quite the "vise-grip" that the keyser is.
  8. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

A popular capo with the guitar guys in Nashville is the Shubb. I don't know how well it would work for your application though.
  9. JustForSport

JustForSport

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you are up for DIY, my dad had an old homemade capo which consisted of a carved wood block that was curved on one side to match the fretboard radius and had rounded "ears" on each end that extended past the top and bottom of the neck. He used a loop of elastic or rubber band to clamp it to the neck of his guitar.

It would be stone simple to make the block then make up the loop so it applies whatever pressure you want at the wide end of the neck, then just twist the loop to take up slack to account for your neck taper.

Or if you wanted to just buy something, there is a mass produced version of his old homemade thing. The tension band is a bit more sophisticated and attaches differently, and I'm sure easier to use, but it's the same basic idea of a block held in place by a band of stretchy stuff. I just don't know if the ready made version would be wide enough or of the radius you need. Here's a link to a 12 string version of the mass produced version I'm talking about.

http://www.newarkmusical.com/product_info.php?products_id=643

As you can see in this (very) simple sketch, it's simple enough I think I could even make one if pressed. A block of wood, something to carve with, and an old pair of drawers to steal some elastic from and you'd be in business.

Attached Files:

11. Awesome Sauce

Thanks for the sketch, and to everyone else who's contributed. I've been using a homemade jig for a long time now, I was just feeling out something more convenient and readily available. But for what they want, and what I have into mine ( a couple of bolts, wing nuts, scrap wood, and foam), I think I'll stick w/ what I have. :)

Once again, thanks everyone for the contributions- much appreciated!

Rob