Recommendations for a nice leather strap...that's on the shorter side?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sbpark, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

Was at a few music stores yesterday trying to find a decent leather strap. My problem is I wear by bass somewhat up high. Not ridiculously high, but on the higher side. Most of the leather straps I checked out are adjustable, but still a bit too low for my taste.

Suggesions/recommendations welcomed!

2. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    I have that same problem and with my F Bass was a F Bass strap that is really a two piece with the thin part that wraps through the main part of the strap. I just took that out and use the last slot where the other piece went through.

Wally

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Italia straps makes very nice, comfortable, quality straps, and can be adjusted quite high if desired.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

+1 That's what I use and they can get the bass quite high.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sbpark

sbpark

Wow, these guys are actually having a Buy 1 Get 1 free sale, and then every strap after that is 50% off. Ridiculous!It's going on thru 2/14. Look like very nice straps!

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Levys are nice. Probably best to figure out what length you want to see if it'll go short enough. They have bass straps in two lengths, but you might also check out their guitar straps if the shorter of the bass straps isn't short enough.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Go get you a couple. I don't know how many straps I own; I suspect 30 or 40; including Levi, Moody, Eyeland, etc...
    Italia beats them all.

9. Gecko 5

Gecko 5

10. sbpark

sbpark

30 or 40?! Jeez. I just ordered two. Had three in my cart, but tried to practice some restraint. They seem really nice.

11. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I own 6 Italia straps - it's the only brand I play. Top notch quality.

12. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Have two Levys. Heartily recommend.

13. tmntfan

tmntfan

Perri's has a decent padded one.

14. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1. And at those prices they give you great quality at a great price - plus - the two 'fer sale is a long-standing joke. It's always available, making it more of an extreme. volume discount. At that price - a no-brainer.:D

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I went into a local shop a few weeks ago looking for a wide strap. I'd have preferred a cheaper nylon strap. All they had was a black Henry Heller 3.5 inch padded soft leather strap, an HPAD25-01 I think but it was not marked with a model number and it is hard to tell from their website or catalog. At $50 it was more than I wanted to spend, way more. I bought it anyway and it is a very nice strap. It makes heavy basses feel much lighter and it should adjust short enough to suit anyone. It looks like it will last a long time although I could hardly say that for sure at this point.

Ken

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Levys aren't bad but still higher priced than my taste. I like a strap in each bass case. Better straps with better basses or the ones played the most or junker nylons as "emergency" straps in lesser instruments. Also since all straps have Dunlops they can be switched from bass to bass. And since Dunlops are not recessed a standard strap can be used in an emergency.

Previously my solution was to go to Tandy leather where they had these guitar strap kits (that you are supposed to "tool" for leather hobby) that were about $16 each. They were raw leather so you had to buy a bottle of leather dye (I just sprayed them black) and I didn't do any "tooling". Very heavy nice straps. Very similar to the Italia you guys are recommending for $85 each. Hey some of my BASSES didn't cost that much! But last time I went to Tandy prices were not MUCH higher!

Anyway, to make a long story short: I found these planet waves straps on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...=1361337092&sr=8-3&keywords=planet wave strap

They come in lots of colors and styles and I can clue you all in on what the deal is. The cheap ones (per above URL) are the worst. They are sort of hard leather and stiff. But still pretty nice straps even if they weren't almost free. I love the colors. Got a white one to match my "kit" Les Paul I made. Too cool. So I bought a bunch in in mostly brown and black.

The next step up in planet waves straps are the suede ones. These have stitching but are just one layer of leather as are the above ones. They are nice and soft yet wide and comfortable even though none are padded (you can buy a shoulder pad if you want one for extra money). If you use dunlop straplocks you'll find these just a tad thin for the clamping system. But all it takes is a copper washer out of a Harbor Freight copper washer assortment of one of the sizes to match the straplocks to the thinner strap. I'm sure they'd work OK without it, but they do tend to stretch the hole in the leather then.

The next step up are the planet waves "garment leather" straps that are two layers stitched and VERY nice. These are great straps that look and feel great. And while not as cheap as the low ones I have seen crappy nylon ones for this price.

And lastly the Ultimate Planet waves strap are the suede "reversible" ones they are quite heavy with nice binding and are brown on one side and black on the other. I put these on my best basses. Love em. All the suede straps are especially nice in that the suede tends to stick to your clothes and eliminates all traces of neck dive unlike say my Carvin padded strap which is slick and smooth. The Carvin straps are VERY comfy, but are cloth. And they have a huge "Carvin" in white letters on them.

ALL the above straps can be found on Amazon (though some often don't ship directly from Amazon which means you may or may not get free shipping). Just do an Amazon search on planet waves guitar straps and root through the various pages that come up and you'll find all this stuff. I just bought about 4 boxes full of straps and now have a strap in each case and gig bag for each bass. And I didn't have to spend a grand to do it.

Hard to beat. That's what I know.

PS. to OP: The narrow "adjustable" part of these straps has TWO holes in it so in addition to the adjustable weave, you can use the upper hole and cut off the rest of the strap for a really sort one.

17. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

You need to measure from keyhole-keyhole on a strap that fits you well.
    Most straps adjust from 45" or so up; a problem for me as my ideal length is 43".

There are some strap makers, including Souldier straps, etc. that have a greater adjustable length range, say from 39" or so-

Or if you contact them, some strap makers may cut down a stock model for you. I've done this with Jeri Hart Straps.

OR have one made if you want to spend the $$... Observe...!:D

Attached Files:

18. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Yeah, well, I got lots of basses.
    They are nice. I feel certain you'll be pleased. I own five of the Italia straps. They are all I use these days. Very comfortable, perfect length, well made. Can't see me buying anything else; the times I have, I was disappointed.

20. Not yet

Not yet

Just curious, why you like the Italia better than Moody? Price is much lower I get, the Moody most comfortable strap I ever had though

21. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Because the Moody is not as soft or as comfortable as the Italia. Don't get me wrong, I like the Moody; in fact, if there were no Italia, I'd go for the Moody (even though they're overpriced).