Recommendations for cleaning string wear off pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angus, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to put a used set of Lane Poors in my Modulus Quantum, but they have a decent bit of string wear on their faces. It's superficial- no grooves or anything. Example below (of a similar pickup without the wear):

[​IMG]

The tricky bit is how to remove the wear without turning the LP logo's clear epoxy hazy.

Thoughts?
  2. Angus

Bump. Any suggestions?
  3. BOOCAKE4U

BOOCAKE4U

careful use of a green scotchbrite pad? (maybe a nice broken-in one, less coarse)...and i would cover the logo with tape while doing so to protect it some
  4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I'd recommend hand polishing it with some automotive rubbing compound. Then you can buff it up to whatever level of gloss you like.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mech

mech

Been there, done that and now I wouldn't go to the trouble. The marks will be be back before you know it. Plastic is softer than steel.

mech
  7. line6man

line6man

+1.
  8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Remember, they're not really marks that can be cleaned. They are burnished spots that would need to be sanded/polished along with the whole face of the pickup. And, as mentioned above they will be back soon enough. It's just part of honest play wear.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

It's futile. Slap them in and play that bass. A tool that performs well and is designed well never stays looking new very long.
  10. Angus

For some reason, I wasn't notified of the replies to this thread, so I never saw any of the suggestions! Thanks everyone.

I ended up getting some 400 grit w/d sandpaper, putting it on a block, and knocking the pickup top down level again, then giving the surface two coats of lemon oil to restore the black color. It took less than 5-6 minutes to do both pickups, and they look brand new now.

Even if the marks will come back eventually, there is something nice about putting a new looking set of pickups into a new bass.