Recommendations of pickups for a bass upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Feb 25, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Hey everyone. I'm just in the process of refurbishing and upgrading my old bass. It is a Peavey DE Scorpio (David Ellefson's signature) with a PJ pickup configuration. I would really like to replace the ol' Seymour Duncans in it right now so I'd love some recommendations. My mains concerns for sound are clarity/no 'extra' noise and of course, power. Feel free to recommend some no-name pickups that maybe you think are good, or any high grade ones you've liked that will work with the PJ configuration.
    Thanks! As well, if you want to recommend any other upgrades or anything feel free. I got a 75' Ric but still like playin the Peavey, just want to upgrade it a bit. Fast neck!

2. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Oops, my apologies. I suppose I put this in the wrong 'section' of the forum.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I just built a P/J parts-bass, routing out the neck pickup position of a Mighty Mite Jazz body to take a Precision pickup. I used a Seymour Quarter Pounder for the neck position and a Fender Super 55 Split-Coil for the bridge. With it being a split-coil pickup, the only time I get any noise out of it is when I'm practicing while surrounded by all my computer equipment, and that's a shielding issue, not 60-cycle hum. When I was plugged in at a local recording studio, it was nice and quiet.

I gotta say, for a (sorta) Jazz pickup in the bridge position, it's pretty ballsy, but still clean. I wouldn't have kept it if it was muddy.