1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Gbass75, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

Can any if y'all recommend a good 3/4 bass for an electric bassist, turned bluegrass fan, who has little experience with upright basses?

I found a Palatino "crack resistant" bass for $675... comes with a case... not sure what the shipping is.

Thoughts?

2. Michael Milner

Michael Milner

I would look for a Kay. Failing that, maybe an Englehardt, Christopher or Shen. I would also start with a laminated instrument. You should budget at least $2,000. If you are going to play out, you will also need a pick-up and an eq. You have to pay more for quality in the db world.

3. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave

While I agree that if you have it, dropping a couple grand on a nicer instrument is a good thing. That said, I spent years wishing I had an upright, but not having one. Finally, my wife got tired of watching me lust after them and she dropped $600 on a used Palatino with a Fishman and case as a surprise birthday gift. Is it a great bass? No. Am I now a year into playing an upright that I would not have been otherwise? Yep.

Moral - If your budget is a cheap chinese bass or no bass, get the cheap chinese bass. It beats the hell out of wishing.

4. jeepnstein

jeepnstein

Some times you just have to accept the financial reality of our music. I'm playing a cheap Chinese bass right now. If it weren't for the screaming good deal I got on it at a music store going out of business I wouldn't be playing an upright bass at all. When the time comes to step up again I'll have no problem parting with good money for the right one. But for now that cheap Chinese bass is making some pretty good music. With the right pickup and a good sound man I can get the job done.

Now remember that I'm just a simple hillbilly with simple needs. If I were a serious jazz player or something I'd be spending lots more money. And yes, some of my buddies give me a hard time about playing a Chinese bass. But since I'm the only bass player regularly available they are a bit understanding if not downright supportive. And I'm not afraid to take it anywhere to play. If they want someone with a more serious instrument they sure know where to look, won't hurt my feeling a bit.

I'm stalking an old Kay right now. When the guy who has it decides the time is right I'm on a short list of qualified buyers. He knows what it's worth and I agree. Until that day, I'll just keep plunking along on my cheapie.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Holdsg

Holdsg Life's too short to play a bass you don't like Supporting Member

I found the "Things to keep in mid while searching for your first double bass" wiki very enlightening.