Recommended Headphones(sub-$50)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RxFunk, Dec 24, 2012.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

I know this subject is covered a lot, but my headphone budget is smaller than most. I picked out a small mixer(just so I can listen to myself without disturbing others in the house, nothing fancy or high tech). It's a Behringer Xenyx 502, and I'd just like to know if there are any great headphones to be had for less than $50. Thanks!
  2. RxFunk

RxFunk

Any suggestions bump?
  3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

I did some research over at headfi. I ordered a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones but haven't received them yet. Usually around $30 but found them for $15. Supposedly not totally neutral but great bang for the buck.
  4. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks, I'll look 'em up.
  5. Darren Low

Darren Low

My Superlux HD 330 was less than $50 IIRC.
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'll check to be sure
  7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Looks like they're on the 600 series now, one of them, the 681's I think is the model, are only $30 and look good as well
  8. dfmilkman

dfmilkman

I got a pair of CAD Audio MH110 Studio Headphones for christmas. I haven't opened them yet, does anyone know if they are any good for practicing/recording? If no one knows I'll let you know how they sound OP, they were only 40 dollars :)
  9. RxFunk

RxFunk

Lol, ok thanks
  10. Tuned

Tuned

Sony XB200's are $40 at Walmart, a little lacking in bass but quite good overall.
  11. RxFunk

RxFunk

I've had pretty good experiences with Sony's headphones/earbuds in the past, may have to check these out as well
  12. RxFunk

RxFunk

Bump for chef_tater(posted in my amp thread looking for headphones) Good luck!
  13. chef_tater

chef_tater

Thanks for the Bump RxFunk.

I have narrowed my options down to the VIC FIRTH SIH1 or the AKG K240. My drummer just got a pair of the VIC and loves them, I haven;t seen them yet. They have a range of 20Hz- 20kHz, so they will handle the bass. The Vic Firths are 60 right now at MF.
  14. RxFunk

RxFunk

How about the AKGs?
  15. chef_tater

chef_tater

The Akg k240 has a range of 15Hz-25kHz. So a greater range on both sides of spectrum. Thug send to be higher in price than the Vic Firth. Average for the Vic were 60 and the akg was running 75.
  16. RxFunk

RxFunk

A pair of the AKGs(M80s I think) are on MF's 30th anniversary savings list and their only $30 now.
  17. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

ATM40s are in that range. I have the 50s and love them.
  18. Shippy

Shippy

My A-T cans are full over-the-ear style, very comfortable, light for full cans (8 oz?). They are bass-enhanced for freq range but not boomy to me, response is very clear for me. Cord is long and has a pro size 1/4" plug. They isolate the room noise from your mix.

Be aware if you are planning to record any singing or close mic work, open-ear style cans can feedback or leak noise to your track.

+1 for bhphoto.com where they are very reasonable and in your range I think.
  19. RxFunk

RxFunk

Interesting, I may get some of these for some silent practice, thanks Shippy.
  20. OneAri

OneAri

I have a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7's which will probably cost the whole $50. I'm no expert on headphones but they are ideal for silent practicing and come with a 2m extension lead and amp jack as standard, they're also pretty diverse if you just wanted something to listen to your music with