1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommended HSC for Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ed_in_NE_Ohio, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

I looked all over the forums for an 'accessories' sub-forum but didn't find one (If I missed it, I apologize). So, I'm posting this here.

Anyways, I'm pretty stoked! I just picked-up a 2005 Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass (honey blonde with tort guard and rosewood board) off ebay. I was very apprehensive about buying without playing first, but I really liked the looks of this bass, and I got a very nice price...So I pulled the trigger.

It will come with the original Fender gig bag, but I'll need a hardshell case asap for transport to & from rehearsals & gigs.

Any suggestions on a good value Hard Shell Case?

Thanks much.
  2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oh, my wife got me the real Fender hardshell case for Christmas. She's a traditionalist, so she picked the tweed one. It's a great case. With your base in it, it'll weigh a lot. The accessory pocket has a snap flap, and the plush is about as good as any. It's not "form fitted" to the bass, but the bass won't rattle around inside.

I believe this is the case that actually comes with the American Deluxe Jazz Bass, but I'm not 100% sure.
  3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I would recommend the SKB molded hard case that comes with Fender Am. Stds. Good and sturdy, relatively light weight, with TSA standard latches, form fitted.
  4. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I recommend the G&G hard cases for most medium duty work. I have used them for years and they have served me well.

If you are in a "traveling situation" there are a variety of possibilities from Anvil cases to Walker-Enfield cases. Much more expensive, but will protect your investment from the wonderful "baggage handlers" AKA the "baggage demons".

This is just personal opinion, but for me, buying a nice bass and sticking it in a bag just doesn't make sense to me, but again, just one man's opinion.....
  5. pica

pica Supporting Member

I use a Gator HSC. I think I paid under $100 for it. It serves my needs very well.
  6. edbass

edbass

+1
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I have one of the G&G cases that came with my Hot Rod Jazz, and although it's certainly a nice case, I think it would get beat up way quicker than the Fender/SKB hardshells I normally use...

On the last point, I totally agree - unless you pony up for one of those high $$$ gig bags that actually offer decent protection, and at that point you may just as well go with a good hardshell instead - JMHO,

- georgestrings
  8. georgestrings

The only thing I don't like about them is that they're so bulky - I actually prefer the older Fender hardshell cases... I do agree that the current SKB cases offer good protection, and are fairly light for what they do - and IME, SKB backs their products extremely well... I got one of the newer SKB/Fender cases with my '08 MIA Fender Jazz, and sent it along with a Highway One that I flipped, preferring to keep an older Fender hardshell I've had for years...

- georgestrings
  9. georgestrings

They provide a decent value - which seems to be what the OP is looking for... Other good "bang for the buck" cases are by Road Runner - their hardshells, and actually their polyfoam cases aren't too bad for light duty/local use...

- georgestrings
  10. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Another vote for the current Fender SKB ATA case.

I like it b/c the interior is molded for a Jazz for a perfect fit. I've got a nice (aka; more expensive) Gator TSA case and it's a generic body cutout and most basses flop around inside it which is not good.
  11. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Hi All:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

I decided to go with the new Fender Pro Series P/Jazz Bass Case in tweed. I wanted the vintage tweed vibe/look, and also wanted a form-fitted interior:

[​IMG]

So far I really like it, but it hasn't been through any "paces". We have a few local gigs scheduled over the next few weeks. I'll report back on how it holds up.

Oh, and the two latch locks, though they do work, are certainly not the most "security inspiring" locks I've ever seen. :meh:

I paid $117 shipped from Musician's Friend after a 10% coupon. (I couldn't get them to give me 15% off since the item was under $200).