Recommended Micro/Mini Amp Head for EBS Classic Line 212 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kikegg, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Kikegg

Kikegg

Hi all,
    I'm looking to buy a micro/mini (2 to 5 Kg) amp head but I can't decide. In fact I actually don't know which should I buy :(

I play mostly Black Sabbath (I play bass in a BS tribute band, he, he) and classic rock/classic metal tunes.

My current equipment is:
    Ashdown MK500 + EBS Classic Line 212 cabinet (500w @ 4 ohms).
    I use to play a Jazz Bass (AmStd pickups) or a Peavey Zodiac (SPB-1/SJB-1 pickups) bass. "vintage"-ish pickups :)

The head I feel it's too big in size, too heavy and too Hi-Fi for my taste, so I want to change to a lighter head but with a more classic sound.

The only one I've tested/played is the Taurus QUBE450, but its sound I really don't like it. The EQ is strange.

Any clue or recommendation? Thanks!!

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Most current mini and micro amps could probably "get the job done" as long as you can add your favorite pedal to add some dirt to the signal. If you require the amp to produce some OD/dirt itself, selection narrows a lot. I would personally not go for an amp below 500W with that genre music.

3. stuhammfan

stuhammfan

You might check out the Aguilar tone hammer reviews- it sounds like what you may be looking for.

4. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

PF500 or 800 would be first on my list to try. I have used either... Yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kikegg

Kikegg

Thanks, I'll take a look at Aguilar's threads