1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recommended Neck Relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jan 12, 2014.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with a little more neck relief lately, and I was wondering what you recommended on an American P bass. I see Fender's manual suggests between .012 and .014, but that seems a little on the lower side.

I'm actually up around .024. It's a little more challenging to play, but it feels more "solid" or "beefier".

Any thoughts/suggestions/tips? Thanks for having a look!
  2. pfox14

pfox14

I think .024 is too much. I use Fender's setup guide as the gospel.
  3. jd_watt

jd_watt

But if the intonation is fine, and it's playable, does it really harm anything... does it really help?
  4. lowstrung5

lowstrung5 Supporting Member

Measurements are guides. If you like more or less relief, then so be it. Everyone has their preference that feels good and fits their playing technique. Pick, fingerstyle, slap......they all influence how we set up a bass. Every bass has its own sweetspot for relief and setup in general. Just realize the measurements are a good starting point for most players.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Ouch! To each his own, I guess. It can play havoc with intonation but, again, it may be of no consequence. Personally, I'd drop the relief to .012-.014 and raise the string height at the bridge. This will add the "beef" you mentioned while retaining playability in the money-note area(s) of the fretboard.

Riis
  6. jd_watt

jd_watt

Yeah, I didn't fully realize how exhausting that was going to be until band practice last night. It's great with my right hand (plucking/picking), but it's a little cumbersome to fret. Maybe I should try a little less with raised saddles as suggested. I'd like to find that perfect balance, ya know?
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I'm watching the Carolina / SF game with my Schack on my knee and a handful of hex keys so, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Riis
  8. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hahaha... Indeed!