Recommended Strings For 5-String, Altered Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Daniel Dye, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

I'm looking at maybe purchasing a 5-string here before too long, and in my mind a slightly altered tuning makes sense to me. I had a 5-string a while back, and I never really played anything lower than a D (3rd fret B string), and (most likely because it was a cheapo bass) I didn't really care for the sound of the low B. Even on higher end basses I've played around with, but never bought, I never care that much for the low B for the things that I play. Not true of everything, but most of what I actually play. So, I was thinking, if I get another one, I would like to try tuning it like an E-A-D-G-C, but a whole step lower, so D-G-C-F-Bb. What I'm wondering is, what kind of strings (the gauge is really what I'm looking for, but any specific recommendations are welcome) should I use? I'm not real picky about gauges on my 4-strings. I've used .045-.105's mostly, but I've also played on .040-.100's and .050-.105's as well. I didn't have a huge preference one way or the other. What is going to give the best tuning stability, playable string tension, sound, etc. as far as the gauge is concerned? The bass I'm most seriously considering right now is neck-thru, 35" scale, and the strings are strung thru-body or top-loading. Thanks very much in advance!
  2. lz4005

lz4005

I'd start with whatever strings come on the 5'er. Get rid of the stock B, move the rest over one slot, and add a single .030. That'll give you a benchmark about how much heavier you need to go, if at all.
  3. vin*tone

vin*tone

Sounds like a good plan.

Maybe get your usual 4 string set and tune down a tone - see if that's too floppy. If so, get a thicker gauge and throw in a single High C.

i imagine you might need to replace the nut on a 5er to accommodate the thinner strings BTW.