1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

recommends tubes for my ashdown little bastard30

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by biosfer, Jan 2, 2014.

1. biosfer

biosfer

Hi everyone,

I have a ashdown little bastard30,and i want to change tubes,sound is too dirty and drivefull for me,which tubes u suggest me?
  2. biosfer

biosfer

this is my setup
    [​IMG]
  3. Wolffgang

Wolffgang Supporting Member

Not a Little Bastard user, but the standard suggestions would be maybe swap out V1 for a 5751, and definitely add more cone area so you're getting more sound without pushing the amp as hard. Typically the appeal of small tube heads is that they *do* break up more easily and at lower perceived volumes, so maybe they're also just not your thing?

Nice picture, by the way, two tasty flavours of British in one bite-size package!
  4. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I would look at JJ EL84S power tubes as a replacement for the stock power tubes, they have a clearer, more focused midrange sound, which make them sound louder. Also a more efficient cabinet would require less power to drive and hence be cleaner at higher listening levels.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, a 30w amp is a 30w amp, and any gains you might make are going to be very slight at best, and changing to a different tube may give you more room to play with on the dial but will really just move the break-up point to a different spot on the dial without giving you any significant loudness gains. Plus there are other reasons besides tubes that an amp breaks up, most notably the transformers.

However, it may be possible that you have a bad tube that shows itself by breaking up way early. Had that happen in my B-15 before. If you can get your tubes tested, might not be a bad idea. But with a 30w amp, more cab is the way to go for more headroom.