Recone or toss? (EV15L)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ajp1991105, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ajp1991105

ajp1991105

So it finally happened... My Mesa Diesel (Road Ready) has blown. I pulled the driver today and it is in fact the Original EV 15L. I m currently in the middle of purchasing and Eminence 3015LF to replace said driver. I want to know though, would it be wise, or even possible, to recone the driver that I have? I have pictures below detailing the two main breakage points.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Geri O

Geri O

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to recone that driver, if you have the time to wait on it. That's a good driver.

If you recone it, make sure the shop uses genuine EV parts and not the generic speaker recone parts. I"m not going to swear that the generic parts are inferior, but you're assured of OEM performance by using genuine OEM parts. In fact, these days, and I don't mean to slam the quality reconing shops, I'd send it back to EV for reconing.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

3015lf is not the goto driver for full range bass. A 3015 is more likely to work for you, although some mods to porting can work even better.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Or hell yes, recone the original.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ajp1991105

ajp1991105

Geri O
    Do you have any experience with possible pricing and turn around time if I were to say have the driver reconed through EV?

Downunderwonder
    Can you possibly explain the differences between the 3015 and the 3015LF sonically to me? I know the LF is generally meant for low frequency reproduction, but would it noticeably compromise my mid and high range as compared to the 3015

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I'd start with an old-school repair attempt (fingernail polish - I kid you not) and if that didn't cut the mustard, a recone. These things are designed to be reconed, you know.

8. Geri O

Geri O

Sure, why not? Nothing to lose and no one ever runs short of fingernail polish. I mean, NO one...

I'm calling EV tomorrow on some parts, I'll ask their price on that recone. Turnaround is usually two weeks, shipping and all.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely it would. The 3015lf is designed to work in conjunction with a mid driver. It tops out at about 1.5K and has a real nasty spike in the upper mids at that point, after which it's got nothing. The 3015 non-lf is designed to work as a stand-alone speaker much like your EV.

The 3015 is a killer speaker, but get that EV reconed...it's a classic.

10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have an EV B-15M as well as a TL606 (I think the same as the Diesel)
    I've had a EV speaker, a 3015, and a Carvin 400 watt 15 in the TL606

I like the sound of the EV but it doesn't play nearly as loud as the other two.
    Surprisingly, the 3015 wasn't all THAT much better than the Carvin
    Different sound but much lighter

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Reconing is an inexpensive way to get a brand new speaker. It's worthless in its present condition. Why not get it fixed?

12. elgecko

elgecko

Option three, sell it as is. Somebody'll buy it.

13. P_bass

P_bass

Recone, I have used the same JBL 15" Driver for 25 years, reconed it once and will do it again when needed. Well unless your not planning to use it. Just re-read the whole post... :)

14. TinIndian

TinIndian

I would definately get it reconed,if not now at least later. Do not throw it away. As far as the 3015lf, you really should go with the regular 3015. I have one in my Mesa Road Ready cab and its been a great match. I think youll be disappointed if you dont go with the full range speaker in it.

15. FFTT

FFTT

Great Speaker, a bit specialized, needs to be done right.

Ask Weber if they have correct components to make it right.

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

If you are adventurous, you can buy a recone kit and do it yourself. Lots of how-to demos on youtube. Otherwise, try to find a local recover to save on shipping costs.

17. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

If the tears are the only problem, you can leave the VC
    and spider and only replace the cone and surround.
    You could get the 'B' cone and gain some low end at the expense of highs.
    Works great with a good 6 1/2 inch mid driver and crossover.

3015 (non LF) will work in your cab.

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Recone, it is not some old Utah :)

19. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

EVM 15L and EVM 15B share the same basket and magnet. They're both a great driver if you're fine with the part about it being what was originally a 200 watt motor. The EVM 15L is frankly a guitar-amp speaker that got little love in favor of the SRO version of the same thing. The EVM 15B is a very musical sounding low-mid speaker, but is a little fragile for modern true Bass needs.

This is my recollection. Geri can you verify this or am I off-base ?

20. ezstep

ezstep

I've had three speakers re-coned in my time... and I wouldn't hesitate to have speakers re-coned next time. First one was about 11 years ago, and the cab is doing great. Think of it as a new speaker, well, except for the frame and magnet.

21. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member