1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Record Rainfall=very wet basement practice room

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bert Slide, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Yup. We got record rainfall of almost 3" last night and the storm knocked out the power in the middle of the night which turned off the pump which led to over of foot of water in my basement last night. Power was restored early in the morning but on awaking I found the damage and though the water had receded the water line was there and over a foot up on all the walls. This is where my band practices but luckily most of the gear including several PA's was all upstairs at the time. We bring what we need down to practice between gigs but luckily had not practiced since the last gig.

We do keep some amps down there all the time and one of our drummers' kits was there. I don't think the water was up that high very long and luckily it seems to have been clean rainwater so everything is not mucked and smelly anyway. I think we got pretty lucky considering we could have had more gear down there but I'll know better when everything drys out totally what the total damage is. I've taken covers off cabs and FX pedals and have fans on everything and everything is now pretty dry as well as I can tell but I'm gonna let it keep airing out for another day or two before plugging anything in.

So here's the damage and any tips on quick thorough drying techniques are appreciated:

1. My practice cab- SWR Goliath 410- had since 2000, took water halfway up bottom 2 10's. Dumped a little water out of bottom port but otherwise not holding water and drying when I got there. Some peeling of ratfur but plywood doesn't seem too saturated and drying nicely. Don't know how water will effect the speaker cones.

2. Fender twin- beautiful tweed twin also took water halfway up speakers but not as high as tubes. Also drained out already when I got there and pretty much dry now but for some wetness still around reverb tank.

3. Pedal board+ 6 fx pedals. Bad day for guitarist! Not mine but I took them apart immediately and none were holding water but all had some wetness under covers/boards,etc. I dryed these off and left disassembled in front of a fan.

4. Marshall 412 1960 reissue, 80's I think. I actually poured water out of the front of this cab. Pulled all the screws from back panel but can't get it off and don't want to pry too hard, it's not mine.

5. Vintage 1965 Ludwig Jazz kit. Looks like the silverflake wrap kept out most of the water. Dried nicely with no warping to bass or floor tom. Lubed pedals and hardware with wd40. This kit will last another 50 years!

6. Bag with some misc. cords/strings/tubes/mics.- Laid all this out in sun. Cords should be ok, strings I imagine will rust but they are most all old backups and I'm not hand drying them. Prob too late anyway and I have no time. One of 4 old mics got badly wet(SM58) and one of three cheaper shure mics was partially wet and the other two escaped the water being higher in the bag. Two old tubes, water inside them, I imagine they are toast but no biggy, just used backups.

7. Old trumpet and case, Blew the water out, valves working fine, case almost dry.

So anyway, the landlord will be installing a battery powered backup for the sump pump and in the future I will leave nothing down there fulltime. Could of been worse I know on a different night. Anyway, good to get this out in writing, it's been a stressfull day!
  2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Man, sorry to hear that. I hate flooding like that, I've dealt with it a lot over the years.

Where I live, Home Depot has industrial size dehumidifiers in the rental department. Also the big construction rental place here has them too. Might help make sure everything gets bone dry.

Good luck dude!
  3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Thanks Chris. Good idea on the humidifiers. My HD has them too. I think I'll pick one up in the morn to get the basement as dry as possible. Right now I have heaters and fans going. Lucky the floor is all concrete so no nasty carpets to clean. I did have to take up about a hundred of those snap together foam flooring tiles I have in there for comfort and sound proofing.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Bad luck. Good idea emptying out from now on. You would need one helluva big battery set to keep a pump going any length of time.
  5. dazmond

dazmond

That sucks man. Happened to me a few years back, though I was lucky to have some friends sleeping in the basement when it flooded. They carried my 1x15 combo and bass upstairs before everything got saturated. Luckily there was no lasting damages. I don't really think my friends liked to wake up floating on an air mattress though lol
  6. Epidrake

Epidrake

So sorry. Here in Bayside Queens NY, we get lots of water in our basements. High water table and clay dirt. No drainage.

The first thing to do is get fans down there and leave them running full blast. Leave the lights on too to discourage mold growth. The bigger the fans the better. Circulate the air and dry out the room.

Good luck.
  7. Epidrake

Epidrake

Of course run dehumidifiers too. But it's the fast moving air that really dries out the space, even where you can't see the water.
  8. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I dunno but it's not that big a basement and a few hours would have saved me last night so I'll have him install it but def won't leave gear there permanently in the future anyway.

I don't know when the power went out but it woke me with a bang of thunder and I noticed it but shrugged it off and went back to sleep. I've been pretty careful about watching for any water in the past and have had no issues in some pretty heavy rains. Had I been clear-headed when I woke I would have realized how much rain was coming down and that the power outage would kill the pump but I'm just not clear-headed or usually very reasonable after being awakened like that in the middle of the night. Oh well, whaddya gonna do? :)
  9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Good story glad you made out ok. I never leave instruments down there but I had a sickening visual because we were down there last night playing unplugged with my DB, acoustic guit, and drummer on brushes. I thought "What If?... I had forgotten it and left it down there on it's side"...then I saw it in my mind all waterlogged and bloated and seperated.....damn I need a drink! :D
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dude, that stinks. My basement has seen some flooding this year for the first time in ages. Luckily the sump pump kept it all out before it got a chance to accumulate, but it sucks trying to dry it all out. I probably spend two hours a week emptying various dehumidifiers in my garage and basement.
  11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Just chiming in here real quick. For any electronics, i.e. circuit boards....get packets of sillica gel and put them in plastic bags with the silica gel. If you don't have those, try uncooked rice (white or brown, doesn't matter) in bags. It will help draw any moisture out. If there is any corrosion, you can try scrubbing it off with a toothbrush and either mild soap and water (this is assuming there is no electricity going through through the boards obvs...so, disconnect all batteries and what-not!) or use a mild all-purpose cleaner with alcohol in it to dry out the moisture and inhibit corrosion. Let everything dry for as long as you can before reassembling. We have similar procedures at work for computers which have liquid damage and we have a pretty good success rate with these methods. Good lucK!