1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Record with my Mac-- any updates?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Sep 24, 2013.

1. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Fnord the newb at it again:
    I hit the stickys and they are all 10 years old. Not only am I new to bass but I'm not a computer savvy youngster, either. I've a MacBook Pro and a passive Jbass type going though Sansamp BDDI; my only amp is an old Peavey Basic 112. I also have a Line 6 Tone Port ux1 (given to me without authorization codes to update it apparently-- will try to rectify).
    I'd like to record into Mac cheap/freely: bass, vocals and guitar; a drum machine would be a good bonus.
    Any advice is loved, and don't forget the good karma!
    thanks guys,
    fnord!
  2. nojj

nojj Guest

You'll need software, like Reaper, or even GarageBand.
    (I'm still using SndSampler for some stuff)
    an inexpensive USB interface
    (my old one was a Roland UA30, before that an Echo Darla)
    For vocals ya need a mic. an SM57 or 58 is fine.
    Pair of headphones, and preferably some reference monitors,
    but a decent set of computer speakers will get you on the right track.

I'm pretty sure there's some current threads on drum machine software.
  3. atheos

atheos

Not much love for those Line6 interfaces I'm afraid. I'd recommend getting something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Probably around $150, has mic/inst/line input so you can record pretty much anything with it, as long as you won't need more than 2 simultaneous tracks. Sounds to me you won't.

Otherwise you should already have GarageBand on your computer so once you have the interface set up you're good to go. If not, get it from Mac App Store, costs pocket money.

If your skills exceed GarageBand's capabilities, you can get Logic X from Mac App Store. It can even open (well, import) GB sessions. $199 and amazing bang-for-buck ratio.

Anyway, get a decent audio interface. The cheap ones will only give you hiss, noise, headaches, driver problems and other technical issues which in turn will hinder your creativity, should they occur mid-session.
  4. fnordlyone

I am now researching....
    Thanks for the clues, my friends.
    fnord!
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Audacity is free, and available for OS X.
  6. fnordlyone

By all means TBrethren let all newbs in on the free software...
    I am officially doing the Garage Band thing; immediately gratifying to push record, play my bass through ancient (free!) Toneport ux1 (through GearBox, but really using BDDI) and hit stop.... And yes, I could play it back! every mistake recorded for eternity!
    Giddy with Power,
    fnord!:hyper:
  7. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

FWIW - my current recording setup...

- MacBook Air loaded w/Reaper and config'd for recording only. A big reason for my using Reaper over GarageBand is GB's MP3-only file output...Reaper lets me produce a .wav
    - Akai EIE interface; 4 channels in, switchable phantom power, switchable line- or instrument-lvl in, integrated powered 3-out USB hub, two analog VU meters, built like a tank, and a bunch more
    - custom/self-built desktop PC (Win7 HP, x64) for mixing/mastering/etc...OK, I built it up primarily as a gaming rig (and before I began using it as a mixer), but its doing well enough with a Creative X-Fi supposed-to-be-a-gaming soundcard for now
    - both machines have the same collection of VST plugins (most of them are freebies) installed, which allows me to transfer recordings (via thumbdrives) from the Mac to the PC seamlessly (can't do that with Apple'centric AU plugins)

Main reason I record with the Mac is for the portability; main reason I do everything else on the PC is the 27" monitor.