1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Recording 8 separate tracks out of an Alesis SR16

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by OzzyGreg, Feb 2, 2013.

1. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

In the absence of MIDI, have worked out a way to record drums from my old Alesis SR16 onto 8 separate tracks in the Zoom R24.
    It takes a bit of finger coordination, but it's dead easy to get it spot on with some practice!

1. Set up two new drum kits.
    I usually send Kick to Main Left, Snare to Main Right, Closed and Open Hat to Aux Right, Claps and Perc 2 to Aux Left for the first kit. (All panned to the extreme L/R as required for the outputs.)

Tom 1, 2 and 3 are panned across Main Left and Right, Ride and Crash to Aux Left, and finally Perc 2 to Aux Right for the second kit.

2. Set the Drum kit volumes up. The bottom row of pads (ie my first drum set) at max volume level and the top row at zero for the first kit. The other kit is the opposite, top row at max and bottom row at zero volume.

3. Record the first four tracks with your first drum kit activated (ie. for me, just Kick, Snare, Hats and Claps/whatever.)

4. Move the leads to the next set of four inputs and record the same song using your second drum kit.
    You need to time the point of punch-in right. It took me a few goes to get the hang of it!

You now have eight separate drum tracks in your multi-track to mix as you please.

Works for me!

Greg