recording a live gig

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by capncal, Dec 11, 2012.

1. capncal

capncal

my band is playing this friday in a pretty cool venue. it's basically a 50 year old industrial garage. we actually use this space for rehearsals and have gotten pretty good recordings before using an interface and a two mic set up recording onto the program audacity, which is free.

i've access to one of those little stereo recorders that are really not much bigger than a cell phone. they have a two mic criss cross set up and a built in hard drive or SD card.

my question is this, do i need to drag out the interface, lap top, two long mic cables, mic stands and rent two good recording mics, or will this little self contained stereo recorder give me just as good a recording?

2. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

There are a lot of great handheld recorders out there that'll do just fine. What model do you have?

3. capncal

capncal

not sure. it's a friend of a friends...which leave me some hesitancy. it's generally best not to have to depend on a third party's third party.

going to rent one today. not sure of the brands that will be available. tamscan something or other.

4. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Details do count! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

i usually just run off the sound board into my computer..

7. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

We used to get some really good recordings of my old band using a $100.00 zoom handheld mounted on a short tripod. It was always in a fairly small venue and placement in the room was important. Unless it was placed close to the center of the room , the sound would be pretty boomy.

8. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I bought a Zoom H4n about 4 years ago and it's the greatest thing ever. I keep it in my bass bag and record everything: it's so easy. The built in mics are VERY listenable and you can record with the mics and the inputs simultaneously. I regularly get great band recordings. At the time it cost about $350 but I know it's come down a bunch since then...