1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recording Active Bass Problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Dec 13, 2012.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm working on recording my bass to existing mp3s (with bass). I'm using a Tascam DP008 and one of two active Ibanez basses. when recording, I find that I have to keep the level of the mp3 (tracks 1 & 2) quite low in comparison to my bass to be able to hear it in the "mix". For example the volume knobs for the mp3 are at 10-11 o'clock while the bass is at 4-5 o'clock. I have the trim setting just below the point where I get distortion to keep the signal clean but I wish I could get a little more sound from my bass signal. I have the following settings available on the Tascam:
    Inputs
    Mic/Line
    Guitar
    Input Settings
    External Line Low
    External Input Mid
    External Input High

Right now I'm using the Guitar input with the External Input Mid setting to get the best sound. I have the volume on my bass slightly under max and have played through my 4x10 cabinet as well as 3 different sets of headphones. The manual says to use the mic/line input for active basses but as I said, I'm having the best luck with guitar and the external line mid setting.

Any suggestions on getting more sound out of my bass in the mix?

2. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

3. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

i can probably help, but it would be better if we talk via skype, so I can give you a walkthrough the steps you need to take. send a PM if you're interested.