1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Recording equipment upgrade

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by speakermaniac16, Mar 9, 2014.

1. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Hello Guys just want some input on this idea. I am looking into recording and right now I have a 3242 behringer eurodesk. first of all you can't record with it and it really is a piece of crap cause it is unreliable. So I was thinking of getting the peavey 32fx mixer. It has usb interfacing and recording capabilities as well as live sound applications. Is this mixer good for the job, and also if there is a better option keep the price point below 1500 because I know presonus and the behringer x32 are better options, but I am no way hell blowing that amount of money on either of those. So any suggestions are great. We do this for a hobby, by that I mean we record and play live, but not for a living. Can this mixer also record while your playing at a live event, I am pretty sure it can, but just want verification. Thanks

2. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    My band uses a peavey fix 16 channel...it is good for live sound applications. However, it will only record stereo files if you are looking to be able to mix individual tracks this won't do. The mic preamps aren't awesome but they're out. If you want to be able to multi track look elsewhere...same thing goes if you want on board effects. Only has delay reverb and chorus

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

4. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

thanks seamonkey, but I need at least a 24 channel mixer, that is too small to manage my live performances as I use 20 out of the 24 channels

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Allen & Heath have announced the Qu-24. We use the Qu-16 and like it a lot.

7. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Yeah that mixer is also 2600 so thats above my cap, Also lets say I did decide to record with the behringer sx3242fx mixer. Do I need a rackmount piece to record all the tracks, how would any of you guys go along recording on an analog mixer

8. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Hmm I just had an idea, what if I got 2 behringer ADA 8200's. They have pretty good results and they also have midas pre-amp technology. They seem really good considering the reviews. What do you guys think, does anyone own one that can tell me the sound quality of individual tracks or just the device in general.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

For the ADA8200, Does your PC audio interface, or another mixer have optical ADAT and how many channels in ADAT does it have?

I see the X32 rack is only $1200. Same as X32 compact but no faders. Not a big deal if you're going to use a PC/Mac/iPad to control everything.

An S16 digital snake $900, the S16 connects to the X32 via AES50 Ethernet style cable.
    The S16 itself has ADAT so you can add ADA8200's to it.

You can have the X32 rack on one side of the stage, and the S16 on the other. Full 32 channels and the console virtual computer controlled. Get a multi-touch display.

PC => X32 Rack => S16 snake box $2100
    And of course then add P16m's for monitoring

Or upgrade the X32 Rack to X32 Producer. The X32 Producer is $1500

Probably best to give Sweetwater or some other store with expertise a call on how to hook all this stuff up.

Digital has huge benifits over analog, Automation, 25 busses, fully configurable I/O. Great inboard gear, many vendors producing plugins. A lot less snakes and cables.

10. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Allen and heath zed series

11. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    I will just throw it out there for the presonus audiobox 1818vsl...only $499 and comes with their studio one DAW...I think the preamps are high quality and the amount of options it gives you is very generous for what you're paying

12. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

The ADAT does have Digital I/O, can't you just use that, as they look like firewire ports for USB, also the presonus is an option. More info on the operation of the ADA 8200 would be helpful too as I am new to that piece of equipment. I have a presonus audiobox USB now and its good, but just not big enough.

13. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If you have an audiobox already for multi tracking but want more inputs what about just picking up an 8 channel mic preamp to connect via the ADAT? Just use the internal clock on the usb

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

For ADAT, it depends on how many channels of ADAT your interface supports.

Look at the Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL as mentioned above. Nice interface.

It's spec say
    8 channels ADAT optical input and output (at 44.1 or 48 kHz; 4 channels at 88.2 or 96 kHz)

With this you could plug in one ADA8200 into the ADAT and get 8 extra mic pre-amps to show up on the Presonus.

I have a laptop that has a headphone jack with dual duty as an optical tos-link ADAT. A red LED shines out the headphone jack. It only has 2 channels of digital I/O. If I plugged in an ADA8200 I would only get 2 usable mic pre-amps.

15. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Ok so my IMAC doesn't have the optical input, so does that mean I need to get another interface to convert that so it goes into my computer because I am a little new to ADAT. I usually just plug in the audio box's usb to my computer and record, but his doesn't seem quite as easy, or I am just making it harder than it seems.

16. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

What about the presonus FP10 recording interface, I am looking at a used one in very good condition and it has the 8 channels I am looking for. Is it a good recording interface, because it is discontinued. It is presonus so it should be, but just to make sure....

17. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

FP10s give you decent preamps, and IIRC the later versions (that is, after the Firepods) let you chain multiple units for more channels. They can also be had for cheap: ~ $400-500 for two used FP10s. If you're looking at saving on an older but capable firewire system, another $100-150 should fetch you a used Mackie Onyx 1640 with firewire card. A pair of FP10s would be more portable, but the Onyx gives you hands-on control and a decent live mixer.

The catch with either of those legacy solutions is that whatever laptop you're running needs to be firewire friendly.

18. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

I think I am going to get one of the FP10's because my IMAC already has a firewire 800 built into it. Sounds like a deal to me.

19. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    That mixer is VERY Glitchy... From personal experience.. with total crashes .. even after the firmware update.

edpal likes this.
  20. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Well that depends on what type of system your running it through. I have not seen much bad reviews, here and there there's people complaining but not much its probably fine for what I am doing, because I am a hobbyist at this stuff so I wouldn't use it as hardcore as some of you other guys would. Thanks for all the help guys, I have always loved this forum more than any of my other ones:D

21. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

SVtb you probably got a bad one because I have actually used one of those mixers and there really good